PROFINET and Ethernet I/P via Red Lion

jrexrode

I have a project coming up where I'll need to read/write data between a Siemens S7 CPU315 (with 2 PROFINET ports) and an AB CompactLogix with Ethernet IP The machine that the S7-315 will be controlling will have a PROFINET network for remote I/O, etc.

My original thought was to do this using a Red Lion Data Station, but looking at the Siemens drivers in Crimson 3, I don't specifically see a PROFINET driver listed, but there are TCP/IP drivers. So I'm confused and wondering if I'll be able to read data from the Siemens CPU using the TCP/IP driver?

My current knowledge of Siemens PLCs is lacking, but I'm hoping to soon change that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just slowed down and read what I had posted.

A better way to phrase my question would be "Will I be able to read/write data from the Siemens CPU to the Red Lion Data Station using the Crimson 3 Siemens TCP/IP driver without interfering with the PLC's PROFINET communications to the remote I/O units and drives?"

I have never used the the red lion equipment, but you can use 'normal' S7 communication without interfering with the PROFINET side of things.

I think that is how the red lion accesses data. Kinda as an OPC I think

Thanks for the response. I had looked at that unit earlier and it definitely looks promising. It will be my backup plan if I can't get the Red lion to work.
Were you able to communicate the RedLion to the Siemens CPU? I have a similar project coming up.

Were you able to communicate the RedLion to the Siemens CPU? I have a similar project coming up.

As an FYI, since this thread has been zombied, Siemens has released a library for comms between a Logix PLC and an S7-1500. The library includes an FB for the S7 side and an AOI for the Logix side, with instructions on how to set it up. It uses Open Socket comms (TCP).

Might still be easier to set up with the RedLion, no idea there, but the library is no extra HW/SW cost.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/108740380