Increment Encoder to PLC with High Speed Input

PoseidonHo

I had an increment encoder (A+ A- B+ B- and Z+ Z-), for checking the encoder I use a PLC with High speed input counter (For example FP0-C16CT).

To calculate the encoder, I connect the encoder A and B to the high speed counter.

At plc programing, the step I did as following:
1) looking the signal for Z, which means when Z is detected the counter reset.
2) Looking the A coming first or B coming first to detect the CW or CCW.
3) Start counting and Sum up of A and B to get the resolution before detect the Z signal.

Did my concept right the encoder testing?

1.) go to TV repair shop they have oscilloscope pay them few RM.

2.) check www picotech com/picoscope-oscilloscope-software.html

you need good quality waveform

yes,

contact local rep,you will get more infomation.

www picotech com/distrib/my/

my.element14.com/pico-technology/picoscope-2204/oscilloscope-2-ch-10mhz-100msps/dp/1471476

my.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=oss&r=t&searchTerm=picoscope&x=34&y=12

Just a guess. Are you sure you have setup the PLC for a high speed incremental encoder input? Your description looks like you are trying to manually decode the A/B/Z inputs, whereas a 'high speed' input does that for you automatically and all you see from the software side is a counter. Otherwise you are trying to decode the high speed inputs at scan rates - and there is nothing high speed about that.

So I'd suggest you read the manual closely and find the section about configuring and wiring for high speed inputs. I would expect there is something you have to do to identify specific inputs to be configured for an incremental high speed encoder - and you can only wire to those inputs. Sorry I can't speak directly about your Panasonic PLC - not experienced with it so I am speaking in generalities. Also, be sure your high speed input frequency does not exceed the frequency response of your high speed inputs (2kHz on this PLC?). If you have a 1000ppr encoder running at 1800 RPM, that is 30Khz - so you would need at least a 60 Khz high speed input in that case (sample at least twice the input device frequency - Nyquist). Plus many PLCs can't handle the differential encoder inputs, so you have to convert them to single ended and be careful about your wire lengths and terminations.

Last edited: