Connection problem of 1770 kfd with devicenet and laptop

advmin

Hi all,
I really need some advice for establishing communication between 1770 KFD with DeviceNet and my laptop.

1. What cable should I use to connect my laptop (no serial ports) with the KFD module? (I am using a 1747 CP3 USB but the led status is off for RS232 in KFD). I had seen some posts saying 1747 cp3 can be used so it means 1747 cp3 with usb end is the troublemaker?

2. Blinking green on module status is the only LED showed up yet on KFD. (network led is off for the 1769 devicenet scanner also). What steps should I follow to establish a connection between kfd with the DeviceNet scanner and laptop ?

(I am super beginner in this field with some basic knowledge)

thanks in advance!

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1770-in006_-en-p.pdf

page 16 shows pinouts for connecting to a standard DB9.

you can also use a 1747-cp3, 1756-cp3 or 1784-cp10 to make the connection. The DTR, DSR, and DCD lines should be tied together on the KFD side, as well as the RTS/CTS tied together. if you need to try different wiring to make sure..

you'll need RSlinx and the devicenet 1770-kfd, SDNPT driver to get the link established after that.

Make sure you use a good converter like the 9300-usbs (rockwells), or Tripplite USA19-hs

thanks, Ian for clarifying my doubt.
I am ordering a 1747 cp3 and usa19-hs.
I will update soon.
cheers and have a great weekend.

Let me clarify about the serial cable:

The 1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 are specifically built to connect a PC to an SLC-500 or ControlLogix controller serial port. They are "null modem" cables that swap the Rx and Tx pins internally and have a convenient right-angle connector that makes them fit cleanly under the processor door.

When those controller serial ports are set for default (non-hardware-handshaking) configurations, only the Rx, Tx and GND pins are necessary. So any null modem cable with DB9F ends will work to connect to the serial port of an SLC or ControlLogix, including the cable that comes with the 1770-KFD.

But the 1770-KFD and the RSNetworx serial driver require more than just pins 2/3/5. The pinout is shown on page 14 of the User Manual for the 1770-KFD (published in 1996). The 1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 lack those features.

In my opinion if you don't have the cable that came with the 1770-KFD, you should build one from scratch. Or, you can build a plug adapter that includes those jumpers and give it a cheery "I Love DeviceNet, Soon You Will Too" label.

In my opinion if you don't have the cable that came with the 1770-KFD, you should build one from scratch. Or, you can build a plug adapter that includes those jumpers and give it a cheery "I Love DeviceNet, Soon You Will Too" label.

:D

At my last place, we had "several" devices that required unique serial cables. We were always scrambling to find the right cable, so I got some double-ended back shells for DE9 connectors. We configured the wiring inside the shells to take the place of whatever cable it was and labelled the ends as to which end went towards the PC and which towards the device. That way, we could grab the adapter and any standard 9-core serial cable.

That device you linked would have made that much easier to build...

Hi all,
As you directed I made a kfd cable of my own with the pinout provided. And I purchased Tripp lite USA 19hs to use along with it.The driver is configured in COM 5. But the issue is when I tried to connect KFD using RSLinx, the ports selection are limited upto COM 4.
Why is that?
Please have a look at the images attached

thanks in advance

dfd usa.png kfd rslinx.jpg

One of the best things about the Tripplite USA19HS is the little utility for it (K19HAsst.exe) that allows you to change the COM port number assignment. It's bundled in with the driver download.

For better or for worse, the 1770-KFD driver is 20+ years old and has not been updated since back when Windows PC's had four or fewer COM ports.

Thanks for the replies.
I tried the utility K19HAsst.exe.But still, I am unable to change the port number.
The port selection is greyed out.

Please check the attachment.

cheers !

usa 19 error.png

Really thanks for your quick suggestion. It worked well for me.
Really appreciate the help from the forum. Only because of your suggestions and advice iam successfully established the 1770 KFD connection.

I will brief the steps I took for future reference.

Hardware used :
micrologix 1500
1769-devicenet scanner
1770 KFD module
windows 11

1. Using Rslinx configured the KFD module using a serial cable (RS232 and CP3 will not work ) made with the pinout given on page no 14 of the KFD manual.
2. Used Tripp lite USA 19hs to connect the serial cable to the laptop.
3. Tripp lite will be configured as COM 5 which we need to change to COM 4 or 3 to establish connection in RSlinx.

Thanks again !cheers

One of the best things about the Tripplite USA19HS is the little utility for it (K19HAsst.exe) that allows you to change the COM port number assignment. It's bundled in with the driver download.

For better or for worse, the 1770-KFD driver is 20+ years old and has not been updated since back when Windows PC's had four or fewer COM ports.

That and the built in spy Utility that i've used countless times for troubleshooting and even.... other... "things" related to PLCs.

Thanks for the replies.
I tried the utility K19HAsst.exe.But still, I am unable to change the port number.
The port selection is greyed out.

Please check the attachment.

cheers !

That's the wrong window, you change the com number under the Port Mapping tab.