panel view burnt PC ethernet port

timsummo

Hi, I have a panelview 600 (Allen Bradely), It burnt my Laptop ethernet port a few times already. It is configured to communicate with UIC box. It happen everytime when somebody plug it with ethernet cable directly to PC. Does anyone has an idea how to fix the problem.
Thanks!
Tim

wired many a panelview sounds like power rail is seeking ground through the network wires. isolate the power and check for a pinched wire also make sure you're grounds are isoalted.

their at least 3 types of grounds and each is seperate from each other earth ground network ground and power ground.

use an ohm meter and verify isolation 0015 not 0002 on the meter start by looking for 24V any thing above 5volts on the network is a problem below is a panelview manual we used a dh485 to isolate the comm wires back in those days
use this link
http://www.kemcosystems.com/service...nbradley/AB Panel View (2711-UM014B-EN-P).pdf

Hi, I have a panelview 600 (Allen Bradely), It burnt my Laptop ethernet port a few times already. It is configured to communicate with UIC box. It happen everytime when somebody plug it with ethernet cable directly to PC. Does anyone has an idea how to fix the problem.
Thanks!
Tim

What is the catalog number of your PanelView? There is most likely nothing to fix because it sounds like you have a DH485 PanelView and not an Ethernet one (as dmargineau pointed out).

DH485 uses a connector most of the time that looks and smells like an Ethernet port, but it definitely doesn't taste like an Ethernet port. Do as he also suggested and label it as such. DH485 has 24vdc on it, so as you found out, it will smoke Ethernet ports.

That is a problem with any type connector which becomes closely associated with a particular use - e.g. RJ45 = Ethernet.

I've also seen them used, as pointed out here, as DH-485 and other low level communication using RS-485 (Powerflex DSI connections for example.) You have to know your connections.