I am really trying to understand this PLC progrm stuff

Quote:
Like with some of our robots they are really unsafe they will take off when they are not supposed to and they tend to run off track and some times smash into the gate and bust threw and hang off the track half on the track and half off the track. And I would really like to add stuff to it.

Since you already think its unsafe, touching the code makes it yours and you are responsible if an injury occurs.

Yeah but I have been here since this building was empty all I am trying to do is make things better and try and learn a new skill while I am here is all.

Plus few years one of the robots ran into me left a huge black and purple spot on my leg for a month because it moved when it wasn't supposed to.
The safety procedures in your facility are inadequate. The incident you cited is at best a "near miss", but realistically an injury, and quite possibly should have been reported to OSHA. If it had happened to me and nothing was done to mitigate the likelihood of it happening again, I would be looking for a new employer.
You or somebody at your plant should blow the whistle and report the unsafe working conditions to OSHA before somebody gets seriously injured or killed.

Last edited:
The safety procedures in your facility are inadequate. The incident you cited is at best a "near miss", but realistically an injury, and quite possibly should have been reported to OSHA. If it had happened to me and nothing was done to mitigate the likelihood of it happening again, I would be looking for a new employer.
You or somebody at your plant should blow the whistle and report the unsafe working conditions to OSHA before somebody gets seriously injured or killed.

Yup they usually don't do something till someone looses a finger or something. I wish it would be better but it never gets better.

When it happened I called my manager and told him lol he said ok and hung up lol even the supervisor that helped me get my legs out from under it didn't do nothing and now he's a manager lol

Years ago I went to a Mitsubishi PLC class, it was a 4 day class in Atlanta... you may want to check into something like that and also contact the manufacturer of the 'robot' to see if they offer a class, you can learn all this on your own but going to a vendor class will lessen the learning curve, also having vendor contacts is nothing but a plus

The Mitsubishi class gave us tons of reading material that keep me reading for months after the class... another option since your from Plainfield, I just sold some Mitsubishi trainers to a college in Centralia IL, not sure how far you are from them?

i would suggest you look for a new job if the safety culture is so bad

If that is not an option then play dumb and do not attempt any modifications so you dont 'own it'

learn in your own time if u want but your probably on a hiding to nothing at that facility

I wouldn't touch that application give all of the things you are describing about the lack of response for safety issues. "You touch it, you own it" isn't referring to cost but responsibility. If you work on that machine, even if it's just looking at the code, and someone gets hurt later, you're going to get the blame for it and it will stick. All someone has to do is point out that you looked at the code and didn't find the danger or didn't correct it (especially now that it's been pointed out to you). I'd shut the thing off and state that you believe it should stay off because it's dangerous and that if anyone turns it back on it is on them if someone get hurt. Then squeal like a stuck pig on the lack of safety. There are protections for whistle blowers (for now) and if someone retaliates against you for calling this out you will have legal action.
RUN FROM THIS!!!