Vague Data Log request, Help with questions for customer.

Snyd1

I recently had a request that was pretty vague and was wondering if anyone could guide me on some questions I should ask. The request from the customer was "On/Off feed with timestamps". I am assuming they want some kind of data log capability for the discrete outputs they mention. This is a closed system, or was when installed (not on a network) Simply a L36ER processor with point I/O. My initial thought after reading several data log post is to use a Redlion G3 series HMI, simple screen with the DO they want to log and use the data logger on the redlion to capture to a flash card.

I am coming up with few questions for the customer but I assume there are some major ones that need to be addressed that I am unaware of. My only question currently is how long they want to capture data, weeks, months, years. And possibly how they want to view the data.

Anyone here more experienced with data logging and possible customer needs that might be able to suggest some more questions I should ask to make sure I provide them with what they are after?

My experience is with the Maple Systems Hmi.

We do this with all kinds of data, but sounds pretty straight forward from your description.

Example: In the maple you would set up a Data Sampling Object, and we would capture the tag(what ever D0 might be) and we would have the Hmi trigger ever 1 minute or 2 hours - but you could also program a timer in the plc or a boolean tag to do the trigger)
so everytime the feed turned on/off could actually trigger the data capture.

This could be stored on the USB Flash Drive in the maple hmi and you could just swap out flash drive every 30 days or longer (This type of data capture you could probably get years worth of data on an 8 gig USB Drive)

Plug into a computer and export this data to excel (this is done with a free utility from maple).

Once into excel you could do what ever needed to be done with data!

I would ask:

How fast do the On/Off events occur ? Red Lion data logging isn't intended for events that happen faster than about every 2 seconds.

Are they looking for some kind of totalization, flow-measurement, or bulk material measurement derived from the On/Off events ?

Do they intend to view the data locally only, or are they looking to transfer it out into an enterprise data logging or visualization system ? If the system intends to be isolated, do they want a portable data export method (USB ?).

Is this project completely self-contained in its scope, or do they want the ability to expand features and functions in the future ?

Do the timestamps need to be accurate with reference to an external clock (enterprise system time, GPS, Atomic Clock) or just accurate duration values of on/off periods of time ?

There is an example of logging data to a file on the CF card in the front of a L36ER.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/sample-code/overview.page

do a search for CSV.

you could potentially modify this to suit your needs or use as is, logging a 1 every time it is on and a 0 every time it is off. Customer can do his own searching.

I am not sure how cheap he wants to go

I believe I have tried to view this code previously and get a message stating I do not have 1756-L61 controller installed. I believe this is due to my license not supporting control logix platform.

One of our customers has two powder coat lines and wanted to datalog when the monorail conveyor stopped and started. An alarm horn would sound when the conveyor stopped to notify the shift supervisor.

The equipment is antique relay logic with motor starters probably older than me. The conveyor drives are old Reliance VFD’s mounted on the outside of the enclosure with duct tape wrapped all round to hold them together because parts tend to hit the drives and break parts off. Oh, it’s wrapped up pretty good!

Project was to replace the drives in their own enclosure, add a small PLC and do the data logging, just for the monorails. Sure, no problem. A couple days later he started getting text messages that Line A Stopped, was started again, duration of downtime, line speed was changed, in reverse…

I set up a Red Lion G306A and Graphite G07 with ML1400 at home connected to the net and was shooting text’s thru email all over the country. I tried 5 email servers and 3 cell providers. Best combination was Gmail with Verizon up here.

I set up the same hardware at work and did a demo for him. I explained what is possible out there, and not just with this hardware/software. Also went way beyond this text thing.

It may have been too much information overload in a short time frame for him tho.

I believe I have tried to view this code previously and get a message stating I do not have 1756-L61 controller installed. I believe this is due to my license not supporting control logix platform.

Would anyone be willing to post this as a compactlogix ?