Setting Data via AB Eweb 1756 Module

mrmarbles

Hello everyone, first post here. I don't know if what I'm trying to do is possible, that's why I'm asking here. I have some tags that I need to update via a web address. We have the 1756 EWEB module for these tags. For instance, I'd like to have our system load a URL that would change the value of our "Description" tag, so it displays the proper item. What I was envisioning was that our system would load the URL for the eweb (http://ip/changetag.asp?tag=tagname&value=value) but it doesn't seem that the asp on the eweb will get the Request arguments. I've also tried unsuccessfully to pass the module data via XML but I get a 400 error "The data view contains an XML error. The parser reported:not well-formed (invalid token)"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm not a PLC programmer, our engineering dept hooked up the eweb module and basicially just gave me the IP address of it. I've been doing a LOT of reading the past few days. Thanks!

I believe data edits can only be accomplished by creating a Data View in the eweb module and having the external ap POST the changes in xml form to that url. The xml formatting is pretty particular according the the manual...

Are you grabbing the data view xml file and then changing the tag values there and trying to push that back to the module?

I'd recommend reading this publication
ENET-UM527E-EN-P

Interesting idea though. I've accomplished something like this using a webpage that writes the changes to a database and having FactorySQL(which i'm running for other applications) poke the values into the PLC.

Last edited:
Dravik, thanks for your reply. I've actually been able to create a form like in the example that posts back to /rokform/WriteLogixTags but that requires human input.

That publication is the one I've been using to do most of my work with. Like I said before, I've tried the XML route and I'm getting errors like the one above. If you or anyone knows why I might get that error that would be beneficial as well.

Here's what's in my XML i'm trying to POST:
<view name="ISView" description="Information Systems View">
<tag name='A1_RECIPE.INGREDIENT_15.DESCRIPTION' valueType="cip:dt_STRINGI" path="1,0" display="String" access="write">
<value>test xml</value>
</tag>

</view>

I'll grab one of our web guys tommorrow and we'll play w/ the one we have here and see if we can duplicate that issue. I'm not the xml guy, I gave him access and he went and did most of it for the customer heh.