network question

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
The hmi can talk to the plc because it has a static address and therefore I can put the hmi on the 192.168.1.x and the 192.168.0.x network. But the router is 192.168.0.1.
The plc is looking for a 192.168.1.1 router.

I need to upgrade the plc program via port 502. Anyone know of a work around?

network diagram:

network issue.PNG

Last edited:
Unfortunately i think you are driving to site. Unless that HMI is a PC that you can access remotely and load the programming software onto.

Still not using VPN yet? Port forwarding from the internet, she be dangerous.

Unfortunately i think you are driving to site. Unless that HMI is a PC that you can access remotely and load the programming software onto.

Still not using VPN yet? Port forwarding from the internet, she be dangerous.

we switched from the M340 (discontinued) to the wago, so no more port forwarding needed. This is legacy support. The port would only be open for 2 min. or less and in the 40,000 range, so they can't hurt me.

I've heard of people (I think it was Ken) talk about mapping a key through a vpn using teamviewer or the like.

What subnet mask does each of the devices have?

If they all have 255.255.255.0 then the 192.168.0.x network cannot talk with to 192.168.1.x and therefore the router in 192.168.0.1 is in a different subnet than the PLC. In this case change all the masks to 255.255.254.0 and then all the devices will be on the same subnet

Is there a physical gateway at 192.168.1.1?

more things:

is there a switch in the network or is the PLC directly connected to the PC without going through a switch? in this second case it will not work even if you change the mask, you will have to rewire the system and have the cables all come from a switch, or from the router, if it has several connectors.

Last edited:
Not remotely, unless you do a NAT through the router. Unless there's a router not showing that's on 192.168.1.1

-assuming the mask for everything is 255.255.255.0

What subnet mask does each of the devices have?

If they all have 255.255.255.0 then the 192.168.0.x network cannot talk with to 192.168.1.x and therefore the router in 192.168.0.1 is in a different subnet than the PLC. In this case change all the masks to 255.255.254.0 and then all the devices will be on the same subnet

Is there a physical gateway at 192.168.1.1?

more things:

is there a switch in the network or is the PLC directly connected to the PC without going through a switch? in this second case it will not work even if you change the mask, you will have to rewire the system and have the cables all come from a switch, or from the router, if it has several connectors.

Well, I didn't know that I could do this until a very smart IT guy showed me this in 2010:

pc on two subnets.PNG

we switched from the M340 (discontinued) to the wago, so no more port forwarding needed. This is legacy support. The port would only be open for 2 min. or less and in the 40,000 range, so they can't hurt me.

Better than nothing I guess. The M340 is still a current product isn't it? Certainly haven't heard anything to the contrary from my Schneider rep.

i think the subnet mask should be 255.255.0.0. this is what we do at work so we can see everything in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. if i am incorrect, someone please correct me. i will get in touch with my son later to confirm, he is in the IT business.
james

i think the subnet mask should be 255.255.0.0. this is what we do at work so we can see everything in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. if i am incorrect, someone please correct me. i will get in touch with my son later to confirm, he is in the IT business.
james

Everything would have to have the same mask. The plc is currently at 192.168.1.67 w/ a mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1

The problem is I can't change anything in the plc remotely.
Especially not stuff on the customer's network.
I can't even get them to install a router.
I have some solutions avail.
I was just wondering if there was anything I could do at the hmi to act as a 192.168.1 gateway for the plc.