Alternative software for GX-Developer GX-work2

Look in the "Frequently bought together" section of that page. They list this for $69.17. I'm not sure what 1000 steps is, but it is cheap.

I'm not sure what 1000 steps is, but it is cheap.

They have (had) a demo version of GX Developer that was free at one time, your local Mitsubishi dealer may give you a copy, it was available at mrplc under downloads but I think Chris removed it

Its on our lessons https://www.plccable.com/flash-drive-mitsubishi-plc-training-lessons-learn-to-program-gx-developer/

We also sell the full version or Works but like you said its not cheap compared to the Amazon processor https://www.plccable.com/plc-programming-software/

What cable do you use for that?

GX Developer doesn't need a license or install or run.

GX Works and GX IEC Developer do need license numbers to install. GX Dev can be downloaded separate from the GX Works package.

You're correct. I wish now that I would have spent a little more money and got a better unit. It is what it is now, gotta see if I can get it working.

Those Amazon clones use a regular serial cable with standard RS232 comm's.

Cool, I wish they had Ethernet... I could use a few hundred if they did :) I still think I am going to buy one

Hunter Douglas said:
I wish now that I would have spent a little more money and got a better unit

These are the ones we use on our trainers, its a nice PLC, https://www.plccable.com/mitsubishi-melsec-plc-fx3ge-24mr-es-14-inputs-10-outputs-100-240-vac/

This is the trainer https://www.plccable.com/mitsubishi-plc-training-fx-trainer-ethernet-plc-trainer-analog/

Let us know how that clone works out and thank you for the order!

I recommend software developers. Most are happy to explain their past work, or even give some quick examples - after all, it is their business. Focus on the challenges the developer faced with the projects and the solutions they put into place.

There are some minor problems on some of those clones, one I tried (FX3U with analog) the baud rate is fixed at 19200 so using GX Developer or works you will have to set it to that (GX versions can auto negotiate).
You cannot download the PLC Parameters and set the project to 8K size, no idea why as you do not download the parameters but it fails if they are not set in the project. Some of the standard functions do not work on the clones, however, it is easy to replicate them.
Also the build quality is often not that good so for an industrial environment they would not meet any of the current specs & may cause you litigation problems if something goes wrong, in saying that, for home projects or learning they are great.

Old thread alert!

Parky, this thread was brought back to life by a spammer (kimiemiles) they will make a posting on a thread with a bunch of Bla bla bla then come back and try and edit it

As for the clones... I did buy a few but have not had a chance to try them out yet, these are just the generic board din rail mounted and they just look like a circuit board with some terminals, I thought about selling them NOT as a Mitsubishi PLC just as a generic no name PLC for people to learn the basics but I dont want to **** off Mitsubishi either, guess thats why they are sitting on my bench collecting dust

Thanks for the heads up Genius, did not look too closely at the posts, Yes one of my old apprentices got one, it was one of those generic open boards, it is actually quite good for the price, as stated, there are a few problems like the baud rate & parameter file download but they do work.
He struggled so he asked me to look at it, eventually found the coms issue, then the parameter setting. It appears that the parameters have been fixed rather than being able to modify them I also doubt that the D registers will hold their data as you cannot set the latch range as no download of parameters, not tried it but maybe they have been set as the default area, but I doubt it.
Not sure if it will **** of Mitsubishi, my old apprentice did a lot of learning on a clone & now he will use Mitsi products if he has the choice so in some ways it may be to their advantage.

Last edited: