OT Phone's in use while driving

I have a customer who would not talk to on the phone if I am driving. He doesn't care hands free or not he asks me to call him back when I stop.

I agree with most of what everyone has said. In my opinion smart phones are overrated. My data connection is always slow so using it to look things up online is pretty much useless. I hate seeing people text while driving, you can always tell who's doing it because they're usually swerving out of their lane or driving 20 mph slower than everyone else. What I hate even more, is people who call or text me at all hours of the day or night, and when I don't answer right away I'm the a**hole.

Shopping? Is traffic that bad in the States?

Depends where you are.... but some places its pathetic, where im at here there are way to many animals on the road to take yours eyes off it (IMO) When I live in the bay area, 60 min to go 15-20 miles...

harryting said:
Having license suspended doesn't seem to be a big deal in the states. They just keep on driving.

Agree ever watch Live PD? hell they all are on drugs, have drugs and dont have a valid driver's license

Agree ever watch Live PD? hell they all are on drugs, have drugs and dont have a valid driver's license

I love that show, the new Body Cam LivePD version is awesome. It blows my mind that there are soooo many people constantly getting in trouble and doing dumb things that somebody can make thousands of hours of entertaining television with it.
A show like that simply illustrates the causes and effects of over breeding and the offspring being raised with the same mentality that created them.

Not saying I'm the sharpest crayon in the pack but..... I have always had steady job, never been in handcuffs and iv never had to do a road side sobriety test!

Here starting in 2019 the use of the mobile phone while driving will be fined as much as driving drunk.

I have no idea why its not a law that you can not use your phone in anyway other than hands free and making a phone call while driving.

In Illinois there are two laws against using cell phone. One specifically talks about the using a cell phone that is not hands free is Illegal. The other states that reckless driving is illegal. Neither seem to work, but then neither seem to be enforced.

I was working at a place not too far from here, and they said to back up to the building as close as you can so your license plate is not stolen.

Michigan approved MJ. I had a chat with my insurance gal. She said everyone's is going up because of this. Stats show that more accidents, even more fatal accidents happen due to legalization. Expect a significant increase in auto insurance due to this. We pay for everyone else.

When I live in the bay area, 60 min to go 15-20 miles...

Ohh, I thought it was much worse. It's comparable to London traffic then. 27 miles in the morning would be something like 2 hours on a good day and 3 hours in the worse day I travelled.

Interestingly, I had to catch the first flight of the day and didn't quite know how much traffic contributed to the travel time... 35 minutes to do the same distance and arrived to a closed airport. LOL

Yes im sure its like anywhere else in the world, when you cram a godzillion people in a small area and they all need to be on the other side of town at the same time it no longer seems like a the best place to be.... I commute for about 20 years 1.5 hrs each way and I will try and not do that ever again.

That said... they did not have 'smart' (stupid) phones back then but it would of never crossed my mind to drive 60mph down a road and do my Christmas shopping at the same time

It is illegal here in California, you can get a simple (1 point) ticket if caught, or you can be charged with inattentive driving, the equivalent of wreckless driving, if it is especially egregious or you get in an accident, it’s officer’s choice. I got a ticket once because I was stopped at a light in front of a cop, the phone rang, and I reached down to hit the button to ignore it. He said I am not allowed to even touch my phone when driving, and being stopped at a stoplight is still driving. Since then I implemented the feature in iPhones that doesn’t ring through and then automatically texts a message to the caller telling them I am driving and not accepting calls. That of course doesn’t work with most land lines, but land lines are falling off fast now anyway.

3 years ago I got in an accident where I pulled up to a stop sign, then inched forward to see around parked cars. A girl was coming on my cross street and suddenly saw me, slammed on her brakes, fishtailed and her rear bumper caught my front license plate, tearing it out of my front bumper. She stopped, got out of the car, still holding her phone to her ear talking to her friend! In California if you get caught using a phone while driving and are under 18, your license is suspended until you turn 18, or a minimum of 6 months. She called her father, who called the police to take a report rather than just settle it out of court. I took pity on her and didn’t rat her out to the cop, but at the same time I told my truth to both him and my insurance, who decided there was equal fault and would not pay for her damage, which was much worse than mine. A few weeks later I get a knock on my door, it’s her father, chewing me out for “lying to the police” about how it happened. I explained to him how I had not told the cop about her being in the phone, his entire deneanor changed instantly. He said he was going to go back and check her phone records (remember, the cop had officially recorded the time frame). He called me back that night and apologized...