SLC 100/150 Cable Pinout

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Need some help. I have searched the archives on this topic, but didn't find what I need. I am trying to establish communication with slc 100/150 plcs. Our original RS232 to RS422 converter from AB was made by B&B Electronics. It went from 25 pin female for the PC connection to a 8 Pin Din round connector for the SLC. It also has an external 12 Vdc power supply.

B&B was unable to identify our old cable, but recommended a model 422PP9TB RS 232 to RS422 converter. I now have the converter, but no pinout on the SLC 8 pin Din connector to know how to wire in the cable to the converter. I found a pinout in the archive, but it doesn't match what I have.

Looking a the front of the 8 pin Din connector numbering the pins clockwise from the key point.

Pin 1 Green Wire
Pin 2 Brown Wire
Pin 3
Pin 4 White
Pin 5
Pin 6 Black
Pin 7
Pin 8 Red
Shield

The new converter has connection for:

TD (A)
TD (B)
RD (A)
RD (B)
GND
+12V

If anyone has worked out the connection before please respond

Thanks in advance.

This has come up in the past

Sid - (2 posts) Mar-04-02, 10:00 PM (EST)
2. "RE: SLC 100 Software"
Hi,

Try this link I found by searching this website.

http://www.isr.uc.pt/~lino/AIR/Arquivo/slc100.zip

You can substitute for the interface a Black Box Corp. Model 800A or B Short Haul Modem.

Pin out for the 8 pin Din connector:
2 = rxd -
1 = rxd +
3 = txd -
8 = txd -
7 = gnd

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Sid - (2 posts) Mar-05-02, 08:05 AM (EST)
3. "RE: SLC 100 Software"
Update for the Black Box Corp. Model 800 A or B Hookup to a SLC 100/150 Allen Bradley PLC.

Allen Bradley connector Black Box Corp. connection

pin 2 RXD- --------------- TXD+
pin 1 RXD+ --------------- TXD-
pin 3 TXD- --------------- RXD+
pin 8 TXD+ --------------- RXD-
pin 7 GROUND --------------- GROUND

The connections are transposed on the Black Box Corp. end.
The Txd+ goes to the Rxd- on the A-B Side.
The Txd- goes to the Rxd+ on the A-B side.
The Rxd- goes to the Txd+ on the A-B side.
The Rxd+ goes to the Txd- on the A-B side.

This is the info that I also found in the archive. The problem is that I have no wire attached to pin 3 or pin 7 on my existing cable so this pinout provided does me no good.

If I could identify the transmit and recieve pairs then I think I could get things communicating.

Answer Found

Something answering my own question.

I think the archive is right on the pinout, the problem is figuring out how the pins are numbered on the 8 Pin DIN plug. This is what I came up with that is working for me. Thought it might be of use to someone else someday.

Thanks for the responses!

slc150 cable pinout.gif