Siemens ET200s Question

Frosty

Hey Folks,

I have a ET200s Bus here with a 1Count5v (6ES7 138-4DE02-0AB0), attached to this I have a siemens 1XP8024-10 absolute encoder.

At the moment I cannot seem to read a current count back, I have the HW_Gate (16) connected to 24vdc. and the SW_Gate set high in code. The Data, /Data, Clock, /Clock connected to the A, /A, B, /B. But still no count, not even the leds for up/down on the 1count5v module are lighting up.

Has anybody used these items before? Maybe you could point me in right direction?

If there is any more info required, just ask...

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the reply, I have the HW_Gate and SW_Gate but STS_Gate is showing false. - Would I see the leds up/down flash even if the card is configured incorrectly?

From reading more in the manual - the Requirements in 3.3, state a 5v encoder with a 24vdc encoder supply my encoder is a 5vdc supply - could this be an issue?

Thanks again.

I have only used the 24V version of the 1COUNT module.

Not sure what the 24V output voltage is supposed to do with a 5V encoder.
I think that only the A and A, and B and B connections are used.

Hi Jesper,

Didn't think the supply should have anything to do with it either - but thought I'd throw it out there

Yes I have checked all the status bits - no errors detected STS_DI is high but still no STS_Gate.

Also checked the encoder wiring and voltage - one thing I do see is the voltage on A+ is remaining constant at 2.3v no fluctuation when I rotate the encoder.

I've checked all the hardware config and deleted/put back in set it up for count only - pulsed a 5v pushbutton into A+, still no joy....

Hi Jesper - I will try this on Monday morning and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again for the replies.

Hey Jesper,

So I turned on the diagnostics for the module - gave me an error on ERR_ENCODER. just going through the wiring etc. for the encoder.

One thing I did note is the Count5v is giving out 2.6v on the A and B channels?

Will have to dig a little for that one.

So I thought I'd close out this thread by saying the issue is sorted - turns out the 1count5v will only read encoders that output TTL (RS422) type pulses and not encoders that are EnDat compliant.

Also 1count5v will not read an absolute encoder but the module can be set up for Latch and Re-Trigger function which means the module will retain the count and continue from previous stored value after power up.

Thanks again Jesper - without the diagnostics I would not have got the error.