New Guy, New Question

Howdy all. Here's a question for you to christen my posting to these boards.

What was the last year the Allen Bradley SLC-150 was produced? I ask because I've got one installed in a machine I'm responsible for servicing and my customer is vehemently crying foul, saying this machine has a PLC that hasn't been in use since the 80's, how dare we not give him a free upgrade...yadda yadda.

Now...I know SLC-150's were used in the late 80's and early 90's, but when were they finally discontinued? This machine was produced in 2002 so I can't believe that the manufacturer would have taken a 10 year old PLC and put it in the cabinet...Were SLC-150's manufactured as late as 2002? I've only been fiddling with PLC's for the last 2 years so I don't have the length of time in the industry to simply say "Yes" or "No".

Anyone know? Google's not getting me anywhere. Methinks the parameters a mite bit specific.

Welcome to the forum.

The SLC-150 is a reliable unit. I have one that is around 25 years old and still working. Should the unit malfunction then it will be no different had a newer MicroLogix processor malfunctioned. For comparison, I had a MicroLogix-1200 that was just three years old brick on me this morning. In the case of the bricked ML1200 PLC, being a more modern model was no help at all, the entire unit still had to be removed and replaced. Newer is not necessarily better.

The advantage a modern unit will have is not in serviceability, but in ability to communicate with the PLC. SLC-150 programming software, PCIS, has to run on DOS or in a DOS-Box virtual machine in order to communicate with the PLC. A special communication cable is required. The plus is that PCIS software and DosBox is free and third parties offer inexpensive cables. One of our forum members, GeniusInTraining offers cables and has published detailed instructions on how to use DoxBox and PCIS together. On the flip side, Logix-500 software for the modern MicroLogix family can cost several hundred dollars.

In the interest of fostering good will with your customer you might go ahead and offer him a discounted upgrade path, showing the costs associated with doing so and comparing that with continuing to use the SLC-150.

A MicroLogix-1000 is relatively inexpensive, or better yet a ML-1100, also inexpensive. You may be able to work out something that keeps him happy without costing you a lot of money. Should you end up offering the upgrade, make sure you retain the SLC-150. You can recover some of the costs by selling the unit. SLC-150s in good condition are going for a substantial amount of the price you would pay for a MicroLogix.

Last edited:
hello, I knew about PCIS and dosbox, where can you find a download of PCIS at, I actually have a customer with a 150 I have to replace later this year and the machine manufacturer is defunct and no copy of software exists. Been dreading having to figure out what was in the black box as I cannot find PCIS anywhere.

Search the forum for PCIS using the search link on the blue bar above the google search. You'll find several threads with links to it, dosbox, and how to use the two.

Search the forum for PCIS using the search link on the blue bar above the google search. You'll find several threads with links to it, dosbox, and how to use the two.

Thanks, you just made my day, got it. What a relief, won't have to watch operation, will be able to pull program now.

Thanks again