Durable Wire Labeling

dburnum

Our existing control system has vinyl labels that were printed with the old ink cartridge/dot matrix system by BRADY probably 15-20 years ago. In about a month, I'll be removing our entire control system I/O Field Termination Modules, and Control Rack and Controllers in favor of an updated system.
These existing labels are notoriously easy to smudge, and the plant (carbon black) is difficult to keep control areas clean.
I'm looking for a labeling system that would be durable, and protected in such a way that using mild detergent to clean labels in the future would not cause them to be totally useless and unreadable.
What systems might fit the bill?

This phase of the project is the smallest initial set of controllers, and probably only about 300 I/O to be relocated. Our larger controllers have probably ~1500 I/O and will be done as well within the next year. So maybe being able to maintain a database from which to print from would be advantageous as well. (software)

I have had fairly good luck with these printing them with a standard laser printer, But it took a bit of work to format the sheets correctly for the printer that I'm using.
http://www1.panduit.com/en/product/S050X075YAJ

When I worked for a large integrator/supplier to the auto industry, we used a lot of these for wiring our PLC enclosures; we called the half-clear. Most of the customers actually had these written into their specs. They are durable and easy to use.

Do you already have a label printer? If so I'd reach out to a rep and see what is offered. I know Brady has self laminating vinyl and one of my coworkers swears by it. I prefer the nylon as I seem to get a better hold on the wires with it. I've also heard good things about some of the heat shrink styles. Main reason I ask about whether you have one or not is because cost of a new printer would need to be factored in if not.

Laminated labels didn't fare well in a tire factory where I used to work. Carbon black somehow gets under the lamination.

I like the thermal printed labels for durability more than anything else I have used. The plastic snap on labels are okay until you have to touch them and they slide around or fall off.

The plastic snap on labels are okay until you have to touch them and they slide around or fall off.

Or deteriorate and fall apart! That is the worst.