Need help connecting to SLC5/05

Klincker

I'm having an issue getting online with a PLC SLC 5/05 on the network. I have gone online with other processors over Ethernet but these are giving me trouble. I can see it on the network in whoactive but when I try to go online it fails. They are on the network through dh485 using 1761 NET AIC converters. I have a serial to USB converter and I am using a 1747 CP3 cable to try to plug in locally but I get nothing as well when using the 232 DF1 driver in Linx. I am just trying to get online in any way. I've included some pictures of the configuration of the PLC currently as I have the original program file in it now.
Maybe I can plug into the AIC and get to it that way? I tried but perhaps I am not using the right driver when doing so?

chan 0.PNG channel config.PNG Controller comms.PNG

Attachments

• Who active go online.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 10
Since the serial port is configured for DH485, you would probably find it easier to connect to it using ethernet. It has been too many years since I went through a NET-AIC, but I think with the right driver configuration it should be possible.

But since you have the Ethernet channel settings, try setting up your PC on the same network (first 3 octets match, 4th is unique on the network) and go that route.

Your last picture didn't appear to come through for me, but if you need further help setting up an Ethernet driver, let us know. Also, we'll need to know how the Ethernet port of the 5/05 is connected (if at all).

That got it! weird that it would not connect the other way. Plugging in direct and changing IPv4 properties did the trick! Just curious, if I need to connect to a 5/05 that is already configured for dh485, would it be a good idea to get one of those UIC cables?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

If you have DH485 networks or controllers to work on, a "1747-UIC" device is essential.

DH485 and DF1 protocols are different, even though they can both be connected using RS-232 wiring.

The "UIC" devices use DF1 over USB (nice and asynchronous) and run the DH485 protocol on the other side, using the fast handshaking available to a microcontroller that a Windows PC doesn't have. They are the only practical way to connect to a DH485 network with a modern (Windows XP or later) computer.

MicroLogix 1100/1200/1400/1500 controllers have a default serial button that lets you temporarily put them into DF1 Full Duplex mode for connectivity via a general purpose USB/Serial converter. But the SLC-5/0x controllers just don't; the design has been stable since the early 1990s and doesn't allow for that.

Outstanding feedback gentlemen I really appreciate it. I will be getting one of those cables then for sure. There's a lot of knowledge here! Thanks again

I recommend the plccable.com cable above as well, i use it occasionally, without problems.

i have ordered 2 dozen USB serial cables from there as well, and they have been excellent

going to test my New dh+ cable this week.

username for that website is geniusintraining FYI