4 conductor DC Cables (Rules on Conduit)

Timeismoney08

When is it necessary to put the commonly used 4 conductor 24VDC cables into conduit or seal tight?

Are you allowed to zip-tie them to other parts, or is it a rule to be ran through conduit as much as physically possible?

Any references to code would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Simple answer is that they should be physically protected from any damage that you can reasonably expect. Will the cable be OK exposed, or does it need additional protection?

Zip tying to framing on the machine is cheaper and faster.

That said, conduit looks better (IMHO), and is easier to troubleshoot if there's a problem. Let me ask you this: if a cable goes bad, would you rather pull the damaged cable out of its conduit to swap it, or would you like to cut and re-install a bajillion zip ties?

Note that there's a special place in hell for those who don't cut off their Zip Tie tails flush and clean. Lookin' at you, Italian shipyard electricians... <goes to find a bandage to staunch bleeding forearm/>

-rpoet

Simple answer is that they should be physically protected from any damage that you can reasonably expect. Will the cable be OK exposed, or does it need additional protection?

Zip tying to framing on the machine is cheaper and faster.

That said, conduit looks better (IMHO), and is easier to troubleshoot if there's a problem. Let me ask you this: if a cable goes bad, would you rather pull the damaged cable out of its conduit to swap it, or would you like to cut and re-install a bajillion zip ties?

Note that there's a special place in hell for those who don't cut off their Zip Tie tails flush and clean. Lookin' at you, Italian shipyard electricians... <goes to find a bandage to staunch bleeding forearm/>

-rpoet

HAHA... Thank you for the reply! I agree about the ziptie cutting.

Your question cannot be correctly answered with the details you have given.

What is the machine / application?
what is the environment classification?
how far from the control panel to the end device?
what chemicals are present / in use?

a good source of information is NFPA 79 - electrical standard for industrial machinery, NEC 70 national electric code.

james

Your question cannot be correctly answered with the details you have given.

What is the machine / application?
what is the environment classification?
how far from the control panel to the end device?
what chemicals are present / in use?

a good source of information is NFPA 79 - electrical standard for industrial machinery, NEC 70 national electric code.

james

What is the machine / application? General material handling application typically.

what is the environment classification? Not sure. What type of classification you're looking for?

how far from the control panel to the end device? <50'

what chemicals are present / in use? None