How's the job market where you live?

I was just told about a job that pays $5 an hour more than what I'm making. I'm constantly getting calls from recruiters based on resumes I put out ten years ago. Our local vendors are telling me people are desperate for controls engineers. Is this the case where you're at?

we seem to be getting swamped with cheap labour from other countries

Have not found much of this myself to be honest Ian.

My company just put out an ad for a new controls/automation engineer actually ($85-$95kpa+) and we've filled the position with someone from your side of town.

Had quite a lot of over-qualified guys with 10+ years applying for the job (a few from automotive relative industry) and a couple from overseas. Sign of the times perhaps?

Very high demand for controls engineers here. I live in a college town, but 85% of the grads are M E. Saw an ad in the paper for a controls engineer for three months straight..

Id say controls engineers are in high demand where I am, and probably in any oil and gas area in the US. Good money and for the most part the programming and design is very simple, especially compared to any type of manufacturing systems.

We can't find anyone with much experience. Heck, even finding new grads is hard, we are forced to look overseas because we can't find them.

Very frustrating, especially finding anyone who can contribute on a higher level than just getting online with a PLC.

Experienced and skilled controls engineers are in high demand in the Pacific Northwest.

We've hired three mechanical engineers this year, straight out of our local University's ME program.

But I've also hired three controls engineers, and had to get them from Illinois and New York, from unrelated industries.

Had quite a lot of over-qualified guys with 10+ years applying for the job (a few from automotive relative industry) and a couple from overseas. Sign of the times perhaps?
A pet peeve of mine being told I am over qualified! When the company I worked for went broke I was told that many times. People do not seem to comprehend that because you have business and marketing management degrees you do not want to do that any more and would rather go back to controls design, building panels, writing software and commissioning.
Solved the problem - went and worked for myself! Have had lots of people chasing me ever since! Never go back to working for a boss now.

A pet peeve of mine being told I am over qualified! When the company I worked for went broke I was told that many times. People do not seem to comprehend that because you have business and marketing management degrees you do not want to do that any more and would rather go back to controls design, building panels, writing software and commissioning.
Solved the problem - went and worked for myself! Have had lots of people chasing me ever since! Never go back to working for a boss now.

Fair call, and I agree it is dangerous to pigeon hole people like that.

It was just interesting that we were more looking for younger programmers with 2-3 years experience to fit into our small team and were getting older vastly experienced guys applying that could run the whole show and more!

I often get asked by friends and family why I don't go out on my own and start my own business and I always give them the same answer - GETTING PAID!

I'll collect my wage every Tuesday night thanks.. When I'm in the office I'm constantly overhearing the admin girls chasing up clients that have 90+ day outstanding accounts. :mad:

In europe the borders are so open anybody can work anywhere so we natives are overwashed by lots of people from india, romania, poland etc.
The real skilled people are in office, and the service is just a waste necessity.

My company just put out an ad for a new controls/automation engineer actually ($85-$95kpa+) and we've filled the position with someone from your side of town.

If your new guy doesn't work out, hit me up! :site:

I wanted to hire a guy that could help with controls and wouldn't think building control panels was below them. I interviewed 2 guys out of a EE and neither one of them could design a motor start stop circuit. One of them told me that is what electricians do. He handles high level controls and he could calculate the magnetic field around motor. I explained to him that calculating the magnetic field wasn't useful unless you could start the motor and make it run.

I hired a young man just out of high school what wants to learn. I realized that I really enjoy teaching this young man.

Last edited: