Controllogix & Markem-Image NGPCL Protocol over Ethernet

Fourpaw

We've had this working over RS232 for several years using AWT and ARD ASCII commands in the Controllogix program.

Markem has now unleashed an Ethernet based firmware version and we've tested some basic NGPCL commands over hyperterminal with positive results.

Does anyone have experience interfacing NGPCL over ethernet with an actual Controllogix PLC though? I assume we would need to set the interface up as a generic ethernet module and map an I/O table and communicate through that (in the PLC).

Whether we can do raw Ethernet Messaging with the Controllogix command set I am not sure.

Anyone?

I assume we would need to set the interface up as a generic ethernet module and map an I/O table and communicate through that (in the PLC).

That's not what the "Generic Ethernet Module" object is for. That module should be more properly called "Generic EtherNet/IP(TM) Connection Object" because it requires that a device emulate an I/O block.

What you want instead is the Open Sockets feature. All the new 5370 series CompactLogix have it, and ControlLogix (v19 and later, I think) with the 1756-EN2T or the old 1756-EWEB can do it too.

Markem Imaje SmartDateX40

I am having issues to communicate Markem-Imaje SmartDate X40 with ControlLogix over Ethernet. The requirement is to change to the Job via PLC. I need to know the procedure to sent command to SmartDate X40 over Ethernet.

Last edited: