ultra 3000

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi to all.
I have been trying to learn motion control with an ultra 3000 servo controller. I have a question regarding the unit. Can ultra 3000 be used to deal with motion as a standalone unit or does it have to be integrated with a PLC. I’m using a SlC 5/05 and was thinking about using a 1746-HSRV card, but I’m not sure if it can be used with ultra 3000. Can anyone help and point me in the right direction about how the ultra 3000 controller works. I do also have the Ultra Ware software.

If you have an indexing version of the drive (part number ends in X, i.e. 2098-DSD-010X) then it can be used as a standalone unit. Motion profiles are programmed using Ultraware and then initiated from the digital I/O. You still need some type of PLC, or possibly just a small smart relay, to interface with the digital I/O. For extremely simple applications you might be able to dispense with the PLC, say by triggering the motion start input with a foot switch or something.

If you don't have the indexing drive, you will need an external controller like the 1746-HSRV. However, I'd suggest sticking with the indexing model unless you have advanced requirements like coordination between axes.