Solid to flashing light

mliptack

Hello Everyone - I'm relatively new to PLCs but not specifically to ladder logic, but tonight I am stumped at why I cannot make an output in this case Y2 turn on for (say) 10min and then after the 10min is up, start blinking at 500ms intervals.

I am using a Do More Designer / Simulator, I have a PLC on order but only running the sim mode for now.

My logic is pretty simple and is for manufacturing escalation. The outputs are stack lights to show how long a process has been 'neglected'. Green (Y0); Yellow (Y1); Red (Y2) and Flashing Red (Y2).

Inputs
X0 - System is on (and functioning)
X1 - Is a photobeam sensor

Outputs
Y0 - Green Stacklight
Y1 - Yellow Stacklight
Y2 - Red Stacklight

My attempt:
X0 High - Turns on Y0
X1 High - Turns on Y1
X1 High - Starts an On-Delay Timer for 10 Min (C0)
C0 High - Turns on Y2
C0 High - Starts an On-Delay Timer for 10 Min (C1)
C1 High - Starts a Flashing Sequence on Y2

This attempt did not turn Y2 on as expected, instead it only started flashing after the 10 min (I think its important to note here the intent of the program is running in minutes, but for testing I am running in seconds)

Thoughts or suggestions to improve my terrible logic are much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Max

Print the Ladder with CutePDF Writer or similar as I don't have DoMore software installed. You will need to attach a copy of the Ladder as you have programmed it. Without seeing that, I suspect that you are using the Y2 output (coil) on two different rungs of your logic and creating a double coil (Output) situation. This is not allowed. I can make a greater explanation about Double coil and why not to use it if necessary.

Attached is an example of what you described as the way you want your program to operate. To illustrate, I used LogixPro from TheLearningPit.com instead as this is what I have available. Maybe it will help you learn what is needed to get your DoMore program working.

Last edited:
I've made a slight revision of the earlier post for the solid on Red and the flashing Red after a delay. Maybe one or the other is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Awesome - thanks guys. That certainly was the issue - I ignored the warnings of using the same output on multiple rungs.

Also the fact that I am new to the Do-More Designer doesn't help.

All of that said - I was able to get it to work with the help of you both!

@ Bernie_carlton - Is there a reference for all of the built in programs like the ST4 you referenced?

Thank you for your time. I look forward to programming this to the PLC later this week and getting it up and running in no time.

Thanks again,
Max

One last question - I am trying to replicate the same piece of software in the Click software, is there an equivalent to the S:4/7 or ST4 for Click?

I am actually using the Click PLC for the work task (as it is really cheap for the relatively simple task). However, I would like to learn the Do-More platform or similar so I could apply it to some simple home automation tasks.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Max

Reference for locations in Do-more: Menu 'Help' - 'Contents' tab - 'Reference'. In table which appears - 'Locations with system assigned nicknames' (it's a huge table!)

In Click - Menu 'Help' - 'Contents' tab - 'Reference' - 'System control relays (not quite as large)

One last question - I am trying to replicate the same piece of software in the Click software, is there an equivalent to the S:4/7 or ST4 for Click?

I am actually using the Click PLC for the work task (as it is really cheap for the relatively simple task). However, I would like to learn the Do-More platform or similar so I could apply it to some simple home automation tasks.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Max
I really don't know about the Click software. The S:4 word is used by AB. Bit 7 is on for about 1/2 second and off for about 1/2 second. Below is a link to help explain the ST4 that bernie_carlton mentioned.
Link:
https://forum.hosteng.com/wndm/HTMLHelp1/Data_Types/System_Nicknamed_Locations.htm

bernie_carlton is much more knowledgeable than I about the entire AutomationDirect line.

Edit:
As a follow-up, attached is a .pdf of the system control relays:

Last edited: