FactoryTalk View and MS SQL Server

Susanne

Is it possible to form a link between FactoryTalk View ME and Microsoft SQL Server without using extra software like factorytalk historian or transaction manager?

I am trying to use the ActiveX Controls Microsoft Hierarchical Flexgrid Control and Microsoft ADO Data Control to display a table from my database in FactoryTalk but I keep getting an empty table even though there is data in my table in the database.

I'm 95% sure there is no direct linke between FactoryTalk and SQL without an OPC server of some sort, and for that you will need (at least) RSLinx Single Node (~$500.00) to serve OPC and another piece of software to bridge from there to SQL (I've seen some for around $300.00)

Hopefully somebody else knows a trick I don't but that's the best / cheapest solution I've been able to find.

You are going to need a OPC server to get data from the processor. After that you are going to need an OPC client to move it to the database. Check out Matrikon or Kepware. They have a lot instructional videos and PDF's. They also have a 30 day demo on all of their software. I have a similair job, I bought the server already and now am trying to figure out the best software for moving it into a AS400 database using SQL.

It sounds like you are talking about a 1-way data path, from SQL Server to a Microsoft ActiveX object embedded inside FTView ME Runtime, correct ?

FactoryTalk View ME isn't the best ActiveX container in the world, but it does work on the supported operating systems (mostly XP Professional SP2). The subset of ActiveX controls that will run on the Windows CE version (the PanelView Plus ) is very small.

Which operating system (and service pack) are you running, and what revision of FactoryTalk View ME ? Which version of these Controls are you using ?

Are you able to get the same ActiveX controls to work in a different ActiveX container, like Visual Basic or Excel ?

At the moment yes I am talking about a 1-way data path, from SQL Server to a Microsoft ActiveX object embedded inside FTView ME Runtime. Eventually I would like to make it 2 way but I'm trying to get 1 direction working first.

I am using XP Pro SP3, FactoryTalk View Studio 5.1 (CPR9 SR2) and Microsoft ADO Data Control 6.0 (SP4).

I have used the same ActiveX controls connected to the same database in Visual Basic and it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

I found one reference to the Flexgrid control in the RA Knowledgebase, but it referred to an ActiveX component license error showing up when you attempted to run that ActiveX inside FTView.

Are you testing the ActiveX in the "Test Display" mode (the little Play/Stop buttons) or in the Test Runtime mode ? The Knowledgebase also suggests that FTView ME only acts as an ActiveX container in Runtime.

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

I decided to switch from Factorytalk Machine Edition to Site Edition to see if I could solce my problem using VBA.
So far I've been able to get data from a Microsoft SQL table into an activeX listbox successfully. However I still cannot get the FlexGrid working.

Since displaying a table in a listbox isn't ideal from the point of view of format does anybody know another way to display a table in factorytalk view SE?

Hello friends my name is Héctor, Sorry to interrupt to you.

I have a problem with the FTView Studio SE and data server.

I have two computers with the application running (client on WINXP) and the historical data was saving to the data server (windows 2003 server, and SQL server 2005).

Time ago the server was getting full of data and the trends wre having troubles, so I decided to save a back up and then erase the data from the server.

It was working fine for a month, then suddenly i do not exactly what happened, but the trend did not show in the application. I went to check the server and the data was not being saved.

I tried many things but, the only thing that worked temporarily was the same thing i did last time. I erased the data that was saved during a month and then it worked again.

It worked fine for 10 days, then the same thing. Again I did the sanme thing, erase and start again, but the data is just saving for 10 days, then i have the same problem.

Actually I do not know what is going on. Could you tell me what coulb be the problem?

thanks.

@hhpp
That sounds like an issue with your network, or your SQL configuration. FTView is "Supposed" to reconnect if it drops it's connection to the server, but usually doesn't. Anything that causes a rejection of the transaction to SQL will cause the FTView connection to fail.

I am assuming that you let FTView create the SQL tables?

Does datalogging restart if you shutdown the FTView server connected to the SQL server and restart it?

Hello and thanks

1. Actually i the database was already created, (I did not do it)same applications, and stations, but as far as i can see it was created with the FTview SE.

2. I tried this:
Stop the SQL service and then start
Stop application in both stations and the start
Turn off server and station and five minutes later start server then sttations.

Unfortunately it did not work.

To be honest i do not know what could be the problem, I´ve been thinking (just thinking) clear the server unisntal SQL server, and so on. Then instal everything again (windows server, sql server) o the server then with the ftview SE create the DB, but iam not sure.

Thanks.

@hhpp
That sounds like an issue with your network, or your SQL configuration. FTView is "Supposed" to reconnect if it drops it's connection to the server, but usually doesn't. Anything that causes a rejection of the transaction to SQL will cause the FTView connection to fail.

I am assuming that you let FTView create the SQL tables?

Does datalogging restart if you shutdown the FTView server connected to the SQL server and restart it?

There is an option for data log on and datalog off, when it is on there is no data store the application (client) begins to has problems it get really slowly to change from one display to another. When i put datalog off the application works as normal ( not slow). Looks like qhe it try to start data log on has problems with the SQL sver.