S5 to S7 serial comms.

SW_Dave

Hi all

Newbie here, hope to help if possible but first a problem of my own!

Trying to link an s5 to s7;

key points;

S5;
135u, 928B
CP524, serial module
tried ASCII, RK512, 3964(r)
Send job, Fetch job
Syncron, send-direct, recv-direct, send all, recv all.

S7
316 2-DP
CP341
tried ASCII, RK512, 3964(r)
FB7&FB8.

results:
send from S7= no error, job done, TX light on but nothing at S5!

send from S5= no error but nothing in S7

no PAFE errors, cable is ok!

anything i am missing here?

cheers :)

The first thing I do in a case like this is to try to capture the data using HyperTerminal (or some other program). If I can capture it there, then I can start looking for the problem elsewhere. I've used the CP341 a lot, and you should be able to set it up with Hyperterminal in minutes. Can you give that a try, just to see that you really are sending data?

S7Guy said:
The first thing I do in a case like this is to try to capture the data using HyperTerminal (or some other program). If I can capture it there, then I can start looking for the problem elsewhere. I've used the CP341 a lot, and you should be able to set it up with Hyperterminal in minutes. Can you give that a try, just to see that you really are sending data?

yes i connected to hyperterminal and got some data, although it was rubbish, i sent an ASCII string and got junk but at least this proves the CP341 is transmitting?

thanks for the reply.

Well, it depends on what you are sending. If you are sending printable ascii characters, then they should show up on Hyperterminal as such. But you're right, at least the CP341 is sending something.

Are you sure the cable is correct? Often, the CP341 will show no fault, and will display the TX light as long as it is connected to something, even if the cable pinouts are wrong. Doublecheck that, and we'll try something else.

yea i have a few more things to try tomorrow (its 23:06 here) my gut feeling lies with the CP524 card and its config.

will report tomorrow, thanks for now (y)

gut feeling right!

so its now working, sort of!

i am using open driver on the CP card and it will receive, however it needs to see CR (13) before it will bring the data in, so my new revised question is;

how can i get it to receive a fixed length?

from memory it involves settings in the coordination flag field in the send job (you have a send job that acts like a receive! :rolleyes: )

any ideas? having trouble finding info on open driver protocoll :(

sorted, for info;

used open (special) driver on the CP524.

you programme a send job and its number is the receive DB :rolleyes:

you the use the co-ord flags to determine receive type (end char, fixed length etc).