Data Logging

All,

I need to log about 20 data values from within a Siemens 315-2 DP over industrial ethernet. I already have a pc for the task I just need the software etc so that I can capture the data. Does anyone know of anything that I can use...

My budget is about £500... (I have gone way over budget on my project)

Kind Regards

Barry Humphries

Barry, what is the Interwall for Your data.
InTouch with 64 Tag-licence and dumping to Text.txt file
What is you data variables ?. Bool, Integer, String etc.

This is for InTouch (also .csv file format have supported)
DIM Ht as Message;
Ht = StringChar(9); {HorTab}
{Data1 is real, data2 is integer, data3 is Message....}
MsgeTag = text(data1,"#.##") + Ht + text(data2,"#")+ Ht + data3....
...+ data20};
FileWriteMessage("C:\LOG\Text.txt",-1,MsgeTag,1);

Also is possible use MS-Access or MS-SQLServer from InTouch
but you don't need them.

Seppo,

I have not got a scada system with this particular plc, I want to directly pick the data from the plc and log it.

The variables are real numbers, mostly being pressure, flow, temperature, current etc. I have developed some PID loops that I need to make sure that they are actually doing what they are meant to do!

The logging is also going to be used for reducing wasted compressed air etc.

I quite like the idea of using visual basic but have no experience with it. A few pointers would be useful!

Barry, that Scada is in you budget I think.
I'm working with same conf., but I'm using InTouch for dataBase.
As well I can do it with VB, but it has done what has done. My 315-2DB plc with CP341 are in the ship and I can't test it with VB anymore.
Start from SIMATIC NET -> OPC Server -> readme.wri, there are some starting information and more can be in help files and internet.
http://www.ad.siemens.de/industrial-ethernet/index_76.htm.
I'd tryed VB with STData-control to Form as in readme.wri file and it runs, but as. say, I dont have Hardware here. Perhaps someone can help more. br. Seppo

Barry,

I am assuming you don't need to do this for a long period of time, just long enough to test out you program and what not.

If that is the case this is what I would do. You can download a OPC server and client which will run for 2 hours at a time. You can write whatever data you want to an excel speadsheet or an Access Database. I have used the server from www.kepware.com and a client from www.matrikon.com.

I looked at the Kepware site and they have Siemens servers but I don't know Siemens systems so you would have to see if they have one for the system you are running.