Slc 5/04 talking to PV1400e via DHRIO

Johnzo

I am doing some project work in a plant with older equipment which will NOT be updated. They will buy a new line in the near future so are using me for some mods for the time being.

One line has 4 Plc's on a DH+ network which also hooks into Channel B of a DHRIO card in a 2nd line's Controllogix Plc so I.T. can pull tags and we can also go online wirelessly.

The line in question has 2 x Plc 5 and 2 x Slc 5/04 processors. The 2 x Plc 5 and 1 of the Slc 5/04 talk with an old PV1200 which I am replacing with a spare 1400e in the near future.

The PV1200 is RIO and is connected to one of the Plc 5 ports with the 2nd port (DH+) going out to the other Plc's/Slc.

So, the Panelview is talking to the processors via RIO then DH+ via what must be an integral DHRIO in the Plc 5?

I am trying to get the 2nd Slc 5/04 to talk with the panelview (or the future 1400e) but am finding it difficult to figure out how to do so.

The Plc 5's are using block transfers but the present Slc 5/04 does not and I do not see any Messaging logic (I haven't worked with Messaging but I have with BT's years ago).
I have no idea how the present Slc 5/04 is talking to the panelview but it does have some Integers for temperature selection and indicating as well as a couple of input bits.

Any help appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum !

The PanelView is emulating an I/O rack on the RIO network, so it's purely under the control of that PLC-5.

Anything else that wants to read or write data that's displayed on the PanelView is going to have to get it from the PLC-5 over DH+.

While there were limited-scope "pass through" drivers implemented for a handful of devices on DH+ and RIO over the years, they aren't routable protocols like EtherNetIP/ControlNet/DeviceNet are.

Sure; the other PLCs just read and write the data tables of the PLC-5 that's controlling that RIO network.

Ok, can you recommend any reading material that explains how to do that?
How to navigate it all.

Much appreciated Ken!

there should be a message command in the plc 5 that is gathering data from the one slc 5/04 into its data table and then the panelview gets it from the PLC 5. you need to find this and then you could copy but change the address where the data is coming from. also hopefully the plc5 has the memory for what you need to transfer.

I do now see the Message Instructions in the Plc 5 but am struggling to see how the register in the Message instruction correlates to the block transfer allocation in the panelview.

Eg. A numeric display for furnace temperature in the panelview uses tag BO1_0_0-0_15_bin
The corresponding Message instruction in the Plc 5 is N22:151 (37 elements).
I don't see the correlation here which I need to know so that I can set up the panelview with new I/O which correlates with a new Message Instruction.

Hope that makes sense?