You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Stuwertz
India

Fancy Exclamation Siemens S7 300 firmware

Hi all

This time s the first time Iím handling Siemens plc . Not much knowledge about the Siemens firmware . In one of my machine having CPU 317F - 2 PN / DP v 3.1 . But now this cpu got failure . I have new cpu 317F 2 PN / DP V 3.2.3 .so How can I use this s cpu on the machine . In the machine the existing program cpu have 3.1 . But the new one have 3.2.3 . Can anybody help me .
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #2
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuwertz View Post
Hi all

This time s the first time Iím handling Siemens plc . Not much knowledge about the Siemens firmware . In one of my machine having CPU 317F - 2 PN / DP v 3.1 . But now this cpu got failure . I have new cpu 317F 2 PN / DP V 3.2.3 .so How can I use this s cpu on the machine . In the machine the existing program cpu have 3.1 . But the new one have 3.2.3 . Can anybody help me .
You should be able to simply download the old project into the new CPU, without any changes. Siemens PLCs are generally pretty forgiving on backwards compatibility.

You might even be able to take the MMC out of the old CPU and put it straight in the new one, skipping the download altogether.
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:39 AM   #3
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
You might even be able to take the MMC out of the old CPU and put it straight in the new one, skipping the download altogether.
+1 to this.
I will up that with a "pretty sure you can just move the MMC to the new CPU and it shall load the program and startup".
Old February 20th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Rescobedo
Mexico

If you have the latest project, you can simply go to HW config, look for the CPU and replace it with the new firmware CPU, compile and download the new configuration.
But as it was said before, you can just insert the MMC into your new CPU.
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:47 AM   #5
Stuwertz
India

Hi thanks to all your support . As I said I just remove the MMC card from old cpu and inserted into the new one . It’s ok .

For my knowledge I have the latest project in that HW configuration if I can able to select cpu 3.2 only . it will be ok for the 3.2.3 cpu .
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:32 AM   #6
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuwertz View Post
Hi thanks to all your support . As I said I just remove the MMC card from old cpu and inserted into the new one . It’s ok .

For my knowledge I have the latest project in that HW configuration if I can able to select cpu 3.2 only . it will be ok for the 3.2.3 cpu .
It should be fine. I don't think they include the 3rd digit in the dropdown, usually. Those very minor revs are usually just bug fixes or security improvements for the built in web page.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 04:08 AM   #7
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

It is so irriating that you get the message that the firmware is different, even when it is just 3.2 vs 3.2.2.

The backwards compatibility is pretty solid for S7 "classic".
I have programs made for decade-old 2EG10 (firmware v2.3) that runs no problem in 2EH14 (firmware v3.2).
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum