You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 21st, 2018, 01:22 PM   #1
merlin00724
United States

determining a program's size

ive been tasked, due to a restructure of our inventory, to find out how big our SLC programs are. specifically, we have several dozen 5/05s at our plant and we stock 16k, 32k, and 64k processors. I need to find out if 32k is big enough for everything and we will just stock a single 32.

I looked in controller properties and memory used and memory left doesn't add up. I think I am going at this wrong. How can I find out the "k" size of a given program?

thanks
Old February 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I think its just straight conversion... double click on the controller properties and you will see 'words used' and memory left, so memory left is 12xxx then you have 12k left

They are 16k 32k and 64k
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:13 PM   #3
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

There is some overhead that you can't count. I have a 32k SLC 5/05 and when I add up the "Instruction words used" "Data Table" and "Instruction Words Left" I get 29920.

I don't think there is a limit in the SLC on how you allocate available memory whether to data table or instructions like there is with some Micrologix models where you can only use a certain amount for data tables.

For your situation then, take the "fattest" SLC program you have and change processor types to the 32K, uncheck "Resize Data tables", verify program files, then check the controller properties. If you leave "Resize Data Files" it will shrink them for you to the last element used in each file which often can create a problem. If your verify fails due to a lack of space, manually shrink them as you choose, or do it again and let the software pare them down for you.

Be sure to leave at least 1k free at a bare minimum. Doing online edits can be a problem if you don't have enough unused edits.

Last edited by OkiePC; February 21st, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:21 PM   #4
merlin00724
United States

Perfect! Thank you very much
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:26 PM   #5
Sydney
Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
For your situation then, take the "fattest" SLC program you have and change processor types to the 32K, uncheck "Resize Data tables", verify program files, then check the controller properties. If you leave "Resize Data Files" it will shrink them for you to the last element used in each file which often can create a problem.
Don't understand why AB allows "Resize Data Files" if it can create a problem. On several occasions we had to substitute processors with different memory sizes and had to decide whether to resize or not. I asked several Engineers over the years about this issue and know one could give me an answer. Just told me not to use unless absolutely necessary or verify program manually, can anyone elaborate.

Regards,
Sydney
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum