Just starting out and want to convert files to practice

toughguy19

I am just beginning my programming and I have written several smaller programs for fun. I have gotten my machine manufacturers to send me the programs that we use in our shop. I was wondering if there is a way to convert them so that I can practice on them. That is, without going all in and buying the software just yet. For AB I just have RSLogix Micro Starter Lite at the moment.

Here is the message from the vendor "One of the lines has a SLC processor. The other line is a compactlogix processor. We can send copies of either program files, but you will have to have software to open them. The SLC line requires RSLogix 500. The compactlogix line requires Studio 5000 v21."

I now have both of the actual files. I would also take it in PDF if that is all that is available. At least then I can follow and see the logic that our machines are doing.

Any help is always appreciated. Thank you to anyone just for taking the time to read this.

Tried to upload but the files are a bit large.

I have searched through and see other people with this issue as well. Can I send this to someone? Thanks again everyone!

The forum has restrictions on the types of files you can attach. The simplest workaround is to change the file extension to one that's acceptable. If you do that be sure to tell us what the correct file extension is. An alternative method is to zip the files. .zip is an acceptable file extension.

The bad news about the SLC is that it requires a more expensive version of RSLogix500 than the Micrologix models require. For strictly offline work, you could get by with RSLogix500 Starter. It does not allow online (live) editing of PLC code, and does not include cross-reference. Those two things make it generally unsuitable for real live work, but for learning it would allow you to have full access to the logic to study, comment and edit offline.

RSLogix Micro Developer covers all models of Micrologix at a reasonable price.

It will allow you to do everything except a SLC, but the inclusion of support for the ML1400 which supports up to 7 expansion cards and more memory makes it a good product if you don't have SLCs, and can be used with files converted from smallish SLC systems to the 1400 CPU.

The Micro Developer Lite version you have will only work with Micrologix 1000 or 1100 as the PLC type and those models are quite limited in memory and I/O compared with the SLC line. I have done some conversions to do testing with SLC logic on my bench where I have several Micrologix 1400 and 1100 PLCs to work with, and to change the controller type, I end up replacing the I/O that is out of the range of a 1400 with internal addresses. If the SLC has 4 or fewer I/O cards, and not too much data file or program memory consumption, it might be pretty easy to convert the logic for use with Micro Starter Lite. If it has more than the memory capacity of the 1100, then you will run out of space...

The Compactlogix software requirements can be even more convoluted depending on what languages are used in the logic. If it is straight up ladder logic, there is a Mini version of Studio 5000 that will work with it. If it uses structured text or function block diagrams, you will also need the "MLP Option" license.

Now for the sticker shock:
Code:
Product		Description				List Price
9324-RL0100ENE	ESD - RSLogix 500 Starter ENGLISH	$1,410.00
9324-RL0300ENE	ESD - RSLogix 500 Standard		$2,830.00
9324-RLM0800ENE	ESD - RSLogix Micro Developer, English    $540.00
9324-RLDMLPE	ESD - Studio 5000 Multi-Language	$2,322.00
9324-RLD200ENE	ESD - Studio 5000 Mini, ENU	 	  $901.00