Logix5000 average the non-zero values in a real array of fixed length

tmadore

Hello,
Hoping somebody has some ideas that can help me out.
Looking for an easy way to average the nonzero values of a REAL array of fixed length. I'm using a FIFO load and unload to initially fill the array with cycle time values and I want the initial average cycle time to be accurate without having to run n cycles (n elements in array)

or

If I'm going about this all wrong and there's an easier solution....?

Thanks!

To me it's easier to prevent values that are zero to enter the FIFO. Then you don't have to worry about masking out the bad values, only allow good values in the first place.

1. Only load non-zero values into your array *Phrog30 beat me to it!
2. Upon a true FFL done bit use an AVE instruction to calculate the average
2a. Or you can adjust the length of the AVE instruction based on FFL position

Last edited:
+1 to only using the non-zero values, but if you want dynamic averages before the FIFO is done, use a "FSC" to find the first zero, then add one to the position for your denominator. Of course, you have be sure the FIFO is emptied at some point to make sure you have a zero at the end of your filled variables. And, of course, write the logic so you can't generate a divide by zero fault.

Oh, you also need to use a "FOR" to determine how many values to unload and add before dividing...

Last edited: