NTP to a CompactLogix

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it possible to configure a CompactLogix L30ER (one of the new L3 series) to update its internal time from an NTP server?

If that's not possible, does anyone know if the FactoryTalk Viewpoint web app. supports writing time down to the PLC like FTViewME does from a PanelView or PC?

Any info appreciated,

Greg

Yes, NTP can be done in L30E using open sockets.

There is a technote in the knowledgebase that does it.

I would just use the Logix Clock Tool and run it from a always on PC or better a server that used NTP.

It would be much easier than doing open sockets IMHO.

Thanks for the reference

Contr_Conn,

Thanks for the pointer to the knowledgebase...that looks like exactly what I need.

Plc_kid...in the KB, Rockwell provides an AOI to do this NTP with all the socket config. embedded and pre-setup...otherwise, I agree that looks like a lot of complexity. But if this works as they say, it's definitely preferable in my mind to keep it all in the PLC...no need to worry about keeping an app running on a PC as a service, etc.

-Greg

Contr_Conn,

Thanks for the pointer to the knowledgebase...that looks like exactly what I need.

Plc_kid...in the KB, Rockwell provides an AOI to do this NTP with all the socket config. embedded and pre-setup...otherwise, I agree that looks like a lot of complexity. But if this works as they say, it's definitely preferable in my mind to keep it all in the PLC...no need to worry about keeping an app running on a PC as a service, etc.

-Greg

I just installed the Rockwell Sample Code on a CompactLogix, and it just works dandy.

I'm also going to resurrect this for a moment...

I have a couple of machines that have a 1783-NATR on them, Unfortunately, the 1783-NATR will not allow PTP sync to my time server because they filter multicast packets. Bummer.

This AOI did the trick for me by allowing connection via SNTP instead. Simple to use, and I didn't have to reinvent any wheels. Awesome!

I put it in my compact logix however its not working right. Can you share how you configured yours to work?

Well, I suppose I <<cheated>>.

I had a managed switch that could act as an NTP server, and made the PLC use it for its source.

Other than that, I just followed the rung comments in the AOI.

Is the NTP server on the same network/subnet as the PLC? If not then make sure you have a gateway address set on the PLC, otherwise it can't route out to find the server.

Is the NTP server on the same network/subnet as the PLC? If not then make sure you have a gateway address set on the PLC, otherwise it can't route out to find the server.

This is likely my problem, it is on a company network. I need to check with out IT team and see how they can help navigate out to the sever.