New MicroLogix 1500 vs Existing SLC 5/04 + 1747-SN + Flex IO

wildswing

Hey fellas,

Educate me here. I know nothing about the MicroLogix family of controllers. How does the MicroLogix (1500 in particular) compare with the SLC 5/04?

I ask because our strapping machine OEM has presented us with an upgrade option to go from steel to plastic strap. Their proposal includes adding a new elecrical enclosure with a MicroLogix 1500 to control the new strapping head only. Our existing SLC 5/04, which now controls the entire machine including the outgoing hydraulic steel strap head, would still be used to do everything else.

My issue with this is that we don't have any MicroLogix on site so I'd have to buy added spares and it would be a on-off oddball in the facility. I'm also not thrilled about having to watch 2 controllers when troubleshooting. I'm sure the techs wouldn't like this either. Compound that with it being a totaly foreign controller to us. I'd like to propose to the OEM that we replace their MicroLogix with a rack of Flex IO (we have flex spares on site) as RIO from the SLC 5/04.

Reading through the AB web site I ran across the 1747-SN module (Remote I/O Scanner Module). Would this suffice to talk to RIO Flex IO? I'd welsome any insights into it's use or in my idea in general.

wildswing said:
Hey fellas,

Educate me here. I know nothing about the MicroLogix family of controllers. How does the MicroLogix (1500 in particular) compare with the SLC 5/04?

I ask because our strapping machine OEM has presented us with an upgrade option to go from steel to plastic strap. Their proposal includes adding a new elecrical enclosure with a MicroLogix 1500 to control the new strapping head only. Our existing SLC 5/04, which now controls the entire machine including the outgoing hydraulic steel strap head, would still be used to do everything else.

My issue with this is that we don't have any MicroLogix on site so I'd have to buy added spares and it would be a on-off oddball in the facility. I'm also not thrilled about having to watch 2 controllers when troubleshooting. I'm sure the techs wouldn't like this either. Compound that with it being a totaly foreign controller to us. I'd like to propose to the OEM that we replace their MicroLogix with a rack of Flex IO (we have flex spares on site) as RIO from the SLC 5/04.

Reading through the AB web site I ran across the 1747-SN module (Remote I/O Scanner Module). Would this suffice to talk to RIO Flex IO? I'd welsome any insights into it's use or in my idea in general.

I agree, and if the Flex I/O is remote I/O version than you should be good to go. Is there some reason given by the equipment supplier that would require a 2nd processor?

If it works forever without the need for any troubleshooting then the salesguy is right.
If the extra device is more or less an integral part of the main machine, then the better solution is to let the main CPU handle all the control, just like you suggest yourself.
And yes, a 1747-SN will allow you to add RIO to the system. It will be slightly more expensive than just adding an autonomous ML1500, but it is a better solution.

JesperMP said:
If it works forever without the need for any troubleshooting then the salesguy is right.
If the extra device is more or less an integral part of the main machine, then the better solution is to let the main CPU handle all the control, just like you suggest yourself.

I agree, and keep in mind that the MicroLogix 1500 does not have online editing capability as the SLC does. (This may only be important if you anticipate frequent changes to the program.)

kolyur said:
...the MicroLogix 1500 does not have online editing capability as the SLC does.
Ooooohhh. So all edits have to be done offline, then downloaded? Not a good thing.

Additional question: I've never done RIO with a SLC. Existing local rack IO addressing does not include a rack number as does the PLC5 (I:#.## compared to I:###/##). My existing SLC chassis is a 10 slot, the RIO scanner module will go in slot #10. How do you address the remote Flex IO? Do you just keep adding to the slot number or is it done through some funky read/write stuff?

Go with the RIO.

Take a look at the SN Manual its pretty clear on digital Addressing and is like addressing your local racks

ie I: Local Slot . (0-31 Scanner Word) / Bit if needed

For Analogues you may need to use Block Transfers (Read and Write) that can be done via ladder or by the BTR/BTW Command if the processor is of the correct f/w update.

As long as you get the Racks and groups all ok etc on the dip switches and configure the SN in the logix software correctly then its really quite easy once you have done a few!

Can you post what IO you are gonna have on your remote rack ?

Last edited:
I'm reading the pdf manual right now.

A quick look through their proposal shows only only discrete IO. Looks like 16 dry contact relay outputs (2 x 1769-OW8) and 16 24vdc inputs (1 x 1769-IQ16). There does not seem to be any analog.

We're planning a conference call with the electrical design guy from the OEM tomorrow to clarify.

wildswing said:
I'm reading the pdf manual right now.

A quick look through their proposal shows only only discrete IO. Looks like 16 dry contact relay outputs (2 x 1769-OW8) and 16 24vdc inputs (1 x 1769-IQ16). There does not seem to be any analog.

We're planning a conference call with the electrical design guy from the OEM tomorrow to clarify.

If its just plain DIGI IO then thats real easy, just need to get the addressing right when you configure the flex rio racks.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have another question...

Can a MicroLogix program file be imported and merged into an existing SLC project? My SLC project is already segregated into subroutines, one for each part of the machine. Since their plc program is only for head control it would just be a matter of importing their file, readdressing some stuff, adding the JSR for their file and disabling the existing head program file jsr. Well maybe not that simple but you get the idea.

There are several ways to do it.

The easiest is to open two sessions of RSLogix500 and then simply cut-and-paste the relevant rungs from the ML1500 program to the SLC500 program.

Before you do the cut and paste, you should make sure that the addresses used in the ML1500 are not used for something else in the SLC500. You may have to move things about a bit.

Ive used the SLC 5/04 - 1747-SN and Flex I/O combo quite a bit.
Digital is easy, but Analogs are a pain.
From a programming point of view, there is really no visible difference between a SLC and a Micrologix. Only issue in the past was Micrologix did not allow online edits, which can be a pain on a 24/7 operation.

Ian

Thanks again for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

Another question, this time a more general SLC thing. I was just trying out configuring an SN module in a new project to get the feel of configuration and see it creates the entire IO table for the module. My question is about addressing. Since my module will be in slot 9 the ladder display shows addressing as I:9/0 - 31 (bit wise) - I'm only using 1/4 rack. Is there a way to change that to module/word/bit i.e. I:9.2/1 or I:9/2.1 (or whatever) like I can in the PLC5. Just curious.

wildswing said:
Thanks again for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

Another question, this time a more general SLC thing. I was just trying out configuring an SN module in a new project to get the feel of configuration and see it creates the entire IO table for the module. My question is about addressing. Since my module will be in slot 9 the ladder display shows addressing as I:9/0 - 31 (bit wise) - I'm only using 1/4 rack. Is there a way to change that to module/word/bit i.e. I:9.2/1 or I:9/2.1 (or whatever) like I can in the PLC5. Just curious.

That is a display property in RSLogix. Right-mouse button click on the ladder display, select properties, then choose the Address Display tab, and change I/O Bit display Mode to slot.word/bit.