Siemens Step 7 5.5 STL Instruction List

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have been asked to make some modifications to a Siemens S7-300 which is programmed entirely in STL and commented entirely in Italian. I've got a vague understanding of the way Siemens uses STL, but mostly when I'm trying to follow it I rely quite heavily on the comments to remember what is what. Since my Italian is a little rusty (and was really only ever limited to communicating what I wanted to eat and where I wanted to go anyway), I don't think I'm going to get much help from the comments on this one.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good article/document/cheat sheet that just gives a brief list of the common STL commands and a tl;dr version of what they do? If I need to dig deeper into what a particular instruction does then I have the help file, but I feel that it would be helpful to just have a quick reference sheet that can jog my memory quickly, to keep me moving through the basics without having to toggle back and forth all the time and lose my thread.

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&...2PPWAhVB_mMKHVLuDbcQvwUIJSgA&biw=1366&bih=669

Welcome to the jungle :d I spend a lot of time and I do mean way too much time translating dutch because way too many of the machines I work on are commented in dutch to the point where I now hate the language. Having said that it's far better than no comments at all. As you may expect online translation can only get you started but you will need to be familiar with the machine to make sense of the technical terminology. In my experience some of the comments I tried to translate on multiple online translators didn't make sense and in one instance omitted a critical word from a sentence.

Along with translation I got a copy of the wiring schematic and mapped out the inputs and outputs in English and spent a couple of hours on the machine I was working on and took notes or video recorded its operation. If the modification was minor I was able to skip large sections of the program and add a section/block then test it.

As long as you don't have things such as double assignments or stack swapping or any other STL specific stuff in a network, you can translate STL to Ladder (LAD) in Step7, if that's easier for you to follow.

I thought so too, and tried switching from STL to LAD in Step 7 - no effect.

There is a grand total of *one* rung of ladder hanging about in there that I've been able to find. Maybe I'll get lucky and the functionality I need to tweak will be on that rung :p

I thought so too, and tried switching from STL to LAD in Step 7 - no effect.

No one in their right mind would write STL in a way that would be converted to any of the other languages otherwise it would defeat the purpose.
I used to work with a couple of idiots that thought so highly of themselves that would not fix their stuff when I repeatedly asked them to that I would resort to getting their program, convert to STL and delete the bits that allow for the formatting to take place without affecting the logic and archived it that way.

Siemens help is quite good, put the cursor on top of the instruction and press F1... which is not what you need now, but handy nevertheless

Thanks guys - yep, the help file (and probably that reference manual, now that I have it) will no doubt get a good workout too. Just need the quick reference sheet to keep me from having to flick back and forth too much just to jog my memory!

The most common STL instructions are:

L - Load to ACCU1 (existing contents of ACCU1 go to ACCU2)
T - Transfer (from ACCU1 to memory address)

A - And
AN - And Not

O - Or
ON - Or Not

S - Set
R - Reset
= - Coil

JU - Jump unconditional
JC - Jump conditional (if true)
JCN - Jump conditional (if false)

Couple more that I use often

TAK - Toggle Accu1/Accu2 (Handy when doing math)
SET
CLR

Welcome to the jungle :d I spend a lot of time and I do mean way too much time translating dutch because way too many of the machines I work on are commented in dutch to the point where I now hate the language.
🍑 (grapje!!)

No one in their right mind would write STL in a way that would be converted to any of the other languages otherwise it would defeat the purpose.
I used to work with a couple of idiots that thought so highly of themselves that would not fix their stuff when I repeatedly asked them to that I would resort to getting their program, convert to STL and delete the bits that allow for the formatting to take place without affecting the logic and archived it that way.
No one in their right mind yeah... well some have a different mindset and write everything in STL, even the most basic logic stuff... :mad: