You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 5th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #1
zacslade
United States

Different Ways to Backup FTView Programs

Hi All,

At this time, I'm aware of at least three ways to backup a project in FactoryTalk View. Each way produces a different type of file. Honestly, I'm a little confused about why they would make so many utilities that do essentially the same thing in different ways.

These are the methods I'm aware of:

Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk View/Tools/Application Manager
- Does not work for Network Distributed projects
- Produces *.apa file

Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk View/Tools/HMI Server Backup and Restore
- Produces a copy of the files in the project directory(?)

Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk View/Tools/Distributed Application Manager
- Only works for Network Distributed projects
- Produces a *.apb file

Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk Administration Console
- Only works for SE projects(?)
- Produces *.bak file

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each tool (for example, what's the difference between a .bak and a .apa for a local station app)? Did I miss any in my list?

Last edited by zacslade; July 5th, 2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Operaghost
United States

The Application Manager should be used for any ME application as well as Local SE applications. Use this to backup and restore applications between different computers or the same computer.

The *new* Distributed Application Manager should be used for Distributed SE Applications. This tool is new in either v8.0 or v8.1. I don't recall exactly which one added this tool. This tool allows you to backup and restore all components from a distributed application to one single file. Previous to this tool, several tools were required.

Those are generally the two you really need.

But.....the HMI Server Backup and Restore tool could still be useful if I just needed to backup one specific HMI Server in a large distributed application. Previously for a Distributed Application each HMI server had to be backed up separately. Five HMI Servers required five different backups. The new tool captures the entire application in one file.

The FactoryTalk Administration Console backup would still be a useful tool to backup only the contents of a FactoryTalk Directory (Local and Remote). If I just want to capture all the user accounts and back them up along with any policies then this tool can do that for me.

OG
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum