Numeric data vs string

bill4807

Hi everybody,

May be a generic question for you advanced programmers, but I do not know how to break it down any further.
When any of you are moving or copying numeric data from PLC to HMI are you using numeric (INT or DINT) or do you mostly just use string files?

Some examples i deal with mostly are, cycle counters, MDIs, (where operator sets a number and the machine makes a descision based on that number. ) numeric part numbers, etc..

I am basically usING counters, moves and copies to set data clear data and transfer data.

Thanks alot!

I can transfer a pretty wide range of numeric data with 4 bytes. In that same 4 bytes I can transfer four characters of string data. If the string is supposed to be a number, 8 bytes limits me to 10000 possible integer values (0 - 9999) or 1000 possible values if one of those bytes represents a decimal point.
Bottom line, transfer strings when you must, transfer numeric data when you can.

Thanks Steve.
I will keep on line with.
"Transfer strings when you must, transfer numeric data when you can"
This was the guidance I was looking for.