Testing electronic boards

blima

I have situations in which I doubt if an electronic board is good on an industrial machine. Sometimes I have the possibility to test it on another machine, which is working well, to see if it's her's fault.

My question is if I should take the board that I have doubts and put it on a working machine or if I do the opposite, shoot a board of a good machine and put in the one that has failure to see if it resolves?

I ask this because sometimes I have to ask the customer to test boards and I am in doubt / I fear that I will have two machines broken!

How do you usually do it?

without knowing specifics I would try to get a spare to test in the bad machine I for sure would not but my only good board in a bad machine for fear that the bad machine was the cause of damage to the old board.

... I fear that I will have two machines broken!
How do you usually do it?
Someday, you will. Don't do it. Order a new board.
The only way I will ever do it if if both machines are down. Even then, I hesitate.
Never touch a machine in production. The day you accidentally break a working machine, they will throw you out. There will be no way to explain to the Production Manager why it's not your fault.

Thanks for the inputs!

I have to work on the safe side since my compnay it is only me! I can not afford paying breaking down a machine!

Just wanted to know if technicians swap electronic boards!

Thanks,

the only time I have ever swapped a board was on a flow meter commission on a factory defective unit that the supplier said they would warranty the board from a spare I was testing if it got fried.

Rule 1: You get at least 1 good spare board (more preferably then you can have the bad one repaired (or repair it yourself) and still maintain at least one known good board.)

If management appreciate the lines running at 100% efficiency - they will gladly pay for spare boards. If they don't then they get lines down.

Rule 2 No rule2

Rule 1: You get at least 1 good spare board (more preferably then you can have the bad one repaired (or repair it yourself) and still maintain at least one known good board.)

If management appreciate the lines running at 100% efficiency - they will gladly pay for spare boards. If they don't then they get lines down.

Rule 2 No rule2

You always get the "but that board cost X amount", they never consider downtime costs and lead-times to get a new board