Rslogix 500 version ?'s

MacSnoogins

I have a Micrologix 1400 controller that has a Rslogix 500 V9.0 program in it. I am needing to make a program change to this controller, but my computer is only running Rslogix 500 V8.30. Is it possible to get online with the controller to make the changes, regardless of this version difference? Or will I need to update the software on my computer?
Thanks!

With RSLogix500, you do not have to match the firmware versions to the software versions like you do with Logix5000. However, there are incompatibilities between certain hardware/firmware versions and older versions of Logix. My gut tells me you won't have a problem, but you will need to read the release notes to tell for sure.

I found the following on page iii of the Micrologix 1400 Instruction Set Reference Manual:

Series A controllers: v8.1 and above
Series B controllers: v8.3 and above

As Helliana said in RS Logix 500 the software version is not matched to the firmware version but if your program was done in RS Logix V9. then I doubt V8 will open it.

Most times it can still open with a minor Revision difference but a major revision V8 vs V9 may be a problem.

Do you have active support contract with Rockwell if so V9 can be downloaded and installed.

If you are on site or can get a copy of the program it can't hurt anything to try if it's not compatible it just won't open it.

Depending on the difference and the firmware on the controller someone here may be willing to convert it for you if you can't get your hand on V9 and your V8 won't open the file.

This should work unless they are using something in V9 thats not in V8 but not much development has been done on RS Logix in a long time other than changes to make it compatible with newer OS and a few security items so it should be fine to back convert it but I would read the differences between versions before doing it.

This is actually a customer of ours that computer is only running V8.3. It seems that they were able to open the V9 program, so I'll see if they can DL to the controller. I'd love to sit on the phone with Rockwell, but lunch is in an hour ;P. I'll let you know how it goes!

This is actually a customer of ours that computer is only running V8.3. It seems that they were able to open the V9 program, so I'll see if they can DL to the controller. I'd love to sit on the phone with Rockwell, but lunch is in an hour ;P. I'll let you know how it goes!

If it let you open the file I am 99% certain you won't have any other issues. From what Kolyur posted it seems what you have should be compatible with the firmware.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but, how can a v9 project be converted to a v8 (or earlier) project? I had a client ask the other day, and I didn't think it could be done...

Back to the topic at hand, you can at least upload directly from the PLC with an older version. You won't get comments or documentation so it's not the best, but it can get you out of trouble in a pinch.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but, how can a v9 project be converted to a v8 (or earlier) project? I had a client ask the other day, and I didn't think it could be done...

Back to the topic at hand, you can at least upload directly from the PLC with an older version. You won't get comments or documentation so it's not the best, but it can get you out of trouble in a pinch.

IIRC, saving it as a .SLC file will allow older versions to open it. (or is it ACH, I forget, try both).

You could also take V8 and upload it from a running processor and bring the comments database back in.