Power supply/UPS for S7-1200

blima

Hi!

I have a power supply/UPS from Siemens: 6EP1931-2EC21, that when I have a power surge, the PLC comes to a stop and we have to turn off/on to start it again.

Can anyone indicate me an alternative UPS/power supply that is trutlly "online"?

Thanks,
Bruno

For 24 vdc backup, we use PULS UB10.241 in conjunction with a 100Ah SLA. You could use a much smaller battery. There is no bump in the DC when I turn AC power off and on.

With the hundred amp hour battery, when power is lost it will run my pump station panel (Micrologix 1400, 4" HMI, radio modem and a few sensors and relays) for a week.

We use Siemens units, there work perfect:
https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/WW/Catalog/Products/10205365?tree=CatalogTree

Okie, how much do those units run for?
We get the PULS units for around $340 from A-Tech. That's pretty expensive and does not include the 24 volt power supply, but the PULS gear is top quality and we have had no problems with them.

The batteries are around $100 each for the big ones. If we need more than a few batteries, we go to Continental in OKC to get them, otherwise, we'll grab one from the nearest auto parts store en route to installation. Most times we put the big battery in a plastic marine battery box with some flexible conduit for the leads. This keeps the weight and the fumes out of our telemetry panels which are usually small wall mount panels. I know SLA batteries are supposed to be sealed, but they still leak some gases and can corrode electronics.

One of the biggest advantages to using this setup is that any water system operator can swap out a car battery unassisted if there is ever a problem with them. The other big advantage is ability to run for a very long time on battery backup. You can't run a water well on our battery, but you can monitor a water tower level potentially for weeks, say during an ice storm or after a tornado.

Last edited:
I have a power supply/UPS from Siemens: 6EP1931-2EC21
That is a UPS, you connect it to Power Supply and it will maintain the 24V if the Power Supply stops giving out power. Check the battery. It won't stop power surges. If you are getting too higher mains supply you can look at something like the 'Mean Well WDR-240-24' (check how may watts you need) it is rated for a supply of between 180V to 550V, so surges aren't a problem. Finally if it is the PLC that stops you need to look at 'Start up' in the PLC properties, you can have it go back to Run after a power cycle.

Thanks for all the inputs.

I will try to change the CPU to Warm Restart - RUN, after a power cycle, because it was on the option: stay on the condition after a power down.

If that does not work I will go for the 'Mean Well WDR-240-24'.

Thanks,
Bruno