new to panel builder 32

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to get up to speed on using panel builder 32 quick. I am an intermediate PLC programmer but this will be my first app with a panel view 300 micro.

I think what I need is an example screen setup that shows step by step how you create it. Is there anything out there on this similar to the logix-pro free down load for the RS logix?

Any help greatly appreciated, as I have to deliver a control panel by the end of next week. FYI, I purchased the panel view / panel builder32 starter kit so I am ready to go.

Thanks Ron. I will check that ASAP. I notice that quite a few others have checked out this post and no one else has replied. I take that as there is no step by step example on how to do a sample application.
If not, does anyone know of such a sight or other source that might walk a beginer through a sample exercise. I could use all the help I can find.

If I remember correctly, there is a sample exercise with full documentation on the PB32 CD. It may be for a different model PV but it will definatly get you started in the right direction.

It should also have the RSLogix file to match the exercise. Works great if you have a test bench full of spare processors and PV's.

If you don't find it email me and I will see what I can dig up.

Do you have the following AB PDF file? - 2711-qs003c-en-p.pdf - It looks like it has a 'getting started' area which has you creating the first few controls. It should give you a basic idea. It's available at the AB web site. Quick Start Look a little more thatn 1/2 way down for Panelbuilder 32 Software. This and other manuals are listed there.

Firebrd10, That sounds like what I need to really get moving. I'll let you know if I can or cannot find that example.

Bernie, I will check. I did get a "getting results manual" that came with the software. It tells you about using the software. It does not tell you (at least in a way that I can understand) how to actually set up a program. I purchased the starter kit with a micro 300 PV. It has not come yet, only the actual software. Maybe there will be more help in the kit. I post back tyo let everyone know.

Robert dont sweat it too much, its not that hard. I did my first panelview about 7 years ago, doing the screens was fairly straightforward. Took me awhile to get the BTR/BTW setup right, it was on RIO. If you can avoid using RIO it will simplify things per se.

Just open PB32 and start a new application. If you have an idea of what you are going to do then look at left menu in System for Tag Database and set the plc addresses to the tag....ie StartPB is B3/10 bit value or Speedsetting, entered as integer, N7:90
IF NOT
Then goto Screens, there should be a Screen 1 created if not create it by using the New Screen icon in menu or right clicking Screens folder in menu on left.

At this point its just play time, click on the screen page and a new menu will appear at top. Click on Objects tab and it will offer pushbuttons, indicators etc. Choose an object, click on it then move your mouse, it will become a crosshair, over the grid area where you want the object and click again. The object will be placed on the screen. Double click the object and the properties window will open so you can name it and set addresses. The help page is always available to explain aspects of this.

I am willing to bet once you do this for about an hour or so you will have it figured out. My first PV took me two weeks but it was an after hours project and had RIO which made it more difficult because I had to add BTW/BTR to the ladder and some more code. Actually my first real endeavor at plc programming. I am sure you can figure this out very quickly, you are far ahead of me at programming.

Last edited:
Best thing is to dive right in... :cool:

I was kind of scared of programming panelviews, too...

Until I tried it, and found out that it was really simple. Just placing objects on the screen and assigning them to tags that correspond to bits/etc. in the PLC. ;)

One random thing to add that may not be self-evident... If you want to display alarms in a list format(instead of one at a time), I've found you need to configure the plc to switch screens to display the alarm list screen, instead of enabling the "display message" checkbox. You configure a "control" tag, and use that to send the hmi to the alarm window screen. That way if you have more than one message coming up at the same time, you can read all of them.