Scaling

no problem, i should of mentioned it made it easier for you guys but like i said i'm taking this program over from someone else so it's tough to figure out what he did

Greetings Keldog,

we’d be able to give you much more specific help if you would post your entire program file ... and tell us exactly what catalog number I/O module you’re using ... and what the scaling is currently set for ... and what you want the new scaling to be ...

the questions that are nagging at me right now are these: how long has the equipment been running with the old scaling? ... and how will simply changing the scaling make it run any better? ... basic idea: if it’s currently running “ok” with the old scaling, then changing the scaling to something “new” is probably just going to cause more problems downstream ...

just a suggestion: start from scratch and give us all the details of WHY you think this change in scaling is necessary (or at least desirable) ... maybe it’s just me, but I’ve got a sneaky feeing that we’re missing something here ... maybe something important ...

1771-IFE is the module.

The reason i would like to change the scaling is because it is supposed to measure the oil pressure of an aerator and the program i'm using in conjunction with the PLC is VTS and it reads numbers in hex when the plc reads the number in decimal, and right now it's set at 0 to 128 which corresponds to the 0 to 145 psi reading off the transmitter but in the VTS it is reading it in hex (EX. if the PLC is reading 128 then the VTS reads 80)so all i'm trying to accomplish is to change it to 0 to 325 so when the VTS reads the value when it changes it into hex it would be correct (EX. if the PLC is reading 325 then it would read 145 psi which would be correct at a 20mA signal.

It was been running with the original scaling since the previous employee installed the card.

As for the program i hope you can understand this

0.Message1_read.EN Message1_Write.EN MSG
|XIO| |XIO| BTR
Mess Control-Message1_Read

1.Message1_Read.DN Message1_Read.FAL FAL
|XIC| (RES) Message1_ReadFAL

2.Message1_Write.EN S:FS Message1_WriteFAL FAL
|XIO| |XIC| (RES) Message1_WriteFAL

3.Message1_WriteFAL.DN MSG
|XIC| BTW
Mess Control-Message1_Write

I'm sorry if this dosen't work out or you can't understand it casue i don't know how to put it in so it will be straight and easy to understand.

Greetings Keldog,

since I haven’t heard from you, apparently you haven’t gotten my PM with my phone number ... I’ll be leaving the office as soon as I finish this post ... but I’m sure that someone else on the forum will be able to help you with your problem ...

in the meantime ... I suggest that you look in the SAMPLES directory under your RSLOGIX 5000 folder ... if the software was installed with the default configuration, then there should be a sample program named “RIO_BlockTransfer.ACD” and another one named “Multiple_BTs_over_RIO.ACD” ... each has quite a bit of documentation included which might be very useful to you ... the “Multiple_” program is much more complicated ... but ... since you’re mentioning an FAL instruction in your program, this might be the one you need ... basic idea: read the notes in the rung comments and see if things start making sense ...

I’m afraid that you’re not understanding what I mean by “post your code” ... basically you need to ZIP the complete .ACD program file and attach it to your post ... we can open the file with a copy of RSLogix5000 ... just make sure that your boss isn’t going to get bent out of shape because you posted “proprietary - super secret” programming, etc. ... but if you can post the program (not just the construction of a few rungs) then we can tell a lot more about your system ... hint: click on that little “three dot” button on your BTW/MSG instruction - to go "inside" the BTW/MSG ... the track to the information that we’re really interested in starts there ... and then continues on into the tag listings ... in other words, how the rungs are constructed doesn’t tell us NEAR enough about your system ...

it might also be helpful to know whether your 1771-IFE module is wired up for “single-ended” or for “differential” ... and which analog channel number are we dealing with? ... if “single-ended” it will be channel number 1 through 16 ... if “differential” it will be channel number 1 through 8 ... and if there is more than one 1771-IFE module in the chassis, which slot is this particular module located in? ... little details like that can be very important ...

anyway ... we’ll be glad to keep trying to help ... but the more we know about your system, the more help we’ll be able to provide ...

one extra question: are you already familiar with how the 1771-IFE module gets its “configuration” by means of a BTW in the older PLC-5 systems? ... if not, then we’ve got some “basic idea” stuff to cover along the way ...

offline for the rest of today ... good luck ...

Last edited:
Thanks all for your advice, sorry i was gone for so long but i had other things to tend to. As for the scaling i decided to leave it alone it is working fine as is so i decided not to touch anything. Thanks for all your advice...

Keldog