This is going to work if it kills me, or someone near me!

akreel

Hey guys!

I've decided to have a little fun with some Allen-Bradley hardware (you all know the story by now). I figured that since it ain't broke, I haven't learned anything yet. I want to try setting up a Remote I/O passthru to program my Panelview 1400e from the ethernet (or serial if I have to) port of a SLC 5/05.

First of all: can this be done? I could be misreading the documentation, but it seems like this should be possible.

Second: do you have any pointers on doing this? I think I've got the Panelview application configured properly, but I haven't figured out what I need to do in the SLC. Of course, if there's a problem I'm not going to have a CLUE whether it's in the Panelview or the SLC because neither one of them has ever been set up to do this before!

Third: In the recent thread about laptops, someone mentioned an Etch-a-Sketch. Do you think anyone would notice if I replaced the Panelview with an Etch-a-Sketch? Has anyone ever successfully interfaced a SLC with one of these before?

AK

It would also be essential to install an electric vibrator for the auto-erase feature. Don't forget that your motion controller will require the ability to interpolated both axes for this application.

Some hints from a guy who'se done Passthrough with the SLC:

1. The 1747-SN must be a Series B scanner. Series A did not support block transfers and will not work.

2. The 1747-SN must be properly scanning the RIO network in the first place; if you don't have solid communications for I/O transfer, don't expect a more sophisticated function like Passthrough to work.

3. Passthrough uses the same Block-Transfer memory areas as the 1747-SN does for ladder-triggered block transfers to the PanelView 1400e. You absolutely MUST disable any block transfer logic in your SLC-5/05 application in order to perform this passthrough download to the PanelView 1400e.

4. PanelBuilder 1400e and it's download utility are holding on desperately to the dreams of their youth when Interchange software was the way to communicate to A-B networks. RSLinx does a respectable imitation of Interchange, but only if you set up an "Interchange Client Port".

Communications -> Configure Client Applications -> 1KT:0 = AB_ETH-1

It couldn't hurt to summarize your revisions of s/w and f/w and o/s to see if there's anything out of date or incompatible. I'm curious about how far you're getting in the download process and what kind of error messages or codes you're seeing.

Ken Roach said:
Some hints from a guy who'se done Passthrough with the SLC:

1. The 1747-SN must be a Series B scanner. Series A did not support block transfers and will not work.

2. The 1747-SN must be properly scanning the RIO network in the first place; if you don't have solid communications for I/O transfer, don't expect a more sophisticated function like Passthrough to work.

3. Passthrough uses the same Block-Transfer memory areas as the 1747-SN does for ladder-triggered block transfers to the PanelView 1400e. You absolutely MUST disable any block transfer logic in your SLC-5/05 application in order to perform this passthrough download to the PanelView 1400e.

4. PanelBuilder 1400e and it's download utility are holding on desperately to the dreams of their youth when Interchange software was the way to communicate to A-B networks. RSLinx does a respectable imitation of Interchange, but only if you set up an "Interchange Client Port".

Communications -> Configure Client Applications -> 1KT:0 = AB_ETH-1

It couldn't hurt to summarize your revisions of s/w and f/w and o/s to see if there's anything out of date or incompatible. I'm curious about how far you're getting in the download process and what kind of error messages or codes you're seeing.

I haven't tried a download yet, but I'll let you all know how it goes. I figure I'll go buy a six-pack and make an evening of it. Since I'm not being paid to do this I might as well enjoy it, right?

On points 1 & 2: Block transfers are working already. I know the two are talking to each other.

Point 3: There's supposed to be a "transfer inhibit" bit. I figured I could use it to disable the BTW and BTR instructions in my PLC program. But, I'm not sure how the SLC controls it. Do I have to set this bit manually when I want to transfer to the Panelview?

Point 4: That's one of the magic tricks I never would have guessed. If it's documented somewhere, I haven't seen it yet. I'll put that one in my back pocket!

By the way, Ken: welcome back! I haven't seen any new posts from you in a while.

AK

Rick Densing said:
Hook up a servo motor to each dial on the Etch-a-Sketch. Choose your motion controller. It would be a fun excercise.

Motion controller? Oh no! I'm going to need a ControlLogix now!

Remain calm. All is well !

I'm not aware of any 1747-SN specific "transfer inhibit" bit. What I always do is use a dummy bit like B3/100 as a condition of both my BTR and BTW instructions, and set it high at first scan. Then, I go online with the SLC before I do a passthrough download and just toggle it off.

The Interchange emulator is necessary for a lot of Milwaukee-based products like PanelBuilder 1400e and DriveTools because they never quite adopted RSLinx and don't have the development budget to fully change over.

I searched my demo stock and didn't find a 1747-SN/B so I can't set this up and test it in the office. :(

Let us know if it works for you !

I was bored...

akreel said:
In the recent thread about laptops, someone mentioned an Etch-a-Sketch. Do you think anyone would notice if I replaced the Panelview with an Etch-a-Sketch? Has anyone ever successfully interfaced a SLC with one of these before?

Funny you should ask... The kind folks at Ohio Art have just released a firmware upgrade which now supports DF1 Full Duplex (Sorry, no RIO yet). I've tried it and it works great! See the attached photo of a recent installation... :p

-Eric

pv-a-sketch.jpg

Re: Remain calm. All is well !

Ken Roach said:
Let us know if it works for you !

I gave this a shot last night. I think I might need software/firmware updates because I had trouble matching setup parameters to my system. In particular:

In the RIO setup for the File Transfer Utility, there is a dropdown box for the PLC type. SLC 5/05 was not listed, in fact no SLC was listed (but two Control Logix and several PLCxxx were).

I found that the passthru setup on the Panelview supported the SLC 5/04, but no other SLC processor.

I have not figured out how to tell the SLC that I want the data from the ethernet port to be passed to the RIO card. I assume this is supposed to be configured in RSLogix, but I can only find options for passthru to Port 0.

You asked about program versions before. I'm using:

RSLogix 500, Revision 4.10.00
Panelbuilder 1400e, Ver. 5.13
RsLinx, Rev. 2.30.01 (build 48)

I tried upgrading to PB 5.15, but am having some issues with it. I've got to do a little putzing to see if I can make it stick.

I'm not sure what my firmware versions are right now. I'll probably look into that if the software updates don't help.

AK

Un Favor

Yo tengo el software de panelbuilder 1400e Version 5.14
Pero no tengo el Serial number para instalarlo.

Por favor quien pueda conseguirmelo porfavor mandemelo a mi correo. Se los agradecere.

[email protected]
Daniel Baez

Rick Densing said:
Hook up a servo motor to each dial on the Etch-a-Sketch. Choose your motion controller. It would be a fun excercise.

G&L actually has this as a demo box. Draws nice pictures.

Since this topic got bumped.

I never did get this to work. I spent a night or two on it and decided that the SLC just didn't like doing an ethernet passthru or the PV 1400e didn't like being programmed over RemoteIO.

A year or two later, I did manage to do a pass-thru on DH+ and realized that I may not have given the SLC the right information to get the passthru channel opened up. It's also possible that the version of RSLinx that I used wasn't full featured.

Anyway, it's been so long now... I'd be starting from scratch if I decided to go blow the dust off this equipment and try again.

AK

Quick translation

ingdanielbaez said:
Yo tengo el software de panelbuilder 1400e Version 5.14
Pero no tengo el Serial number para instalarlo.

Por favor quien pueda conseguirmelo porfavor mandemelo a mi correo. Se los agradecere.

[email protected]
Daniel Baez

I have the software of panelbuilder 1400e Version 5.14 But I do not have the Serial to number to install it.
Please send if you have please send to me by mail.
I dont know what agradecere means so the last sentence is lost to me.