Resistor colours for a TV show

I just went through our annual employee inclusion training. Those old memes are the kinds off things that get people in trouble now.

Here's another fun fact for the show;
Georg Ohm, for whom the unit of resistance is named, was able to accurately define his "Ohm's law" through experimentation by virtue of his being able to accurately reproduce wire in precise diameters, attributed to his being the son of a locksmith and exposed to intricate and meticulous mechanical work at an early age.

Does it go like this?

Bl.. Ba.. Ra.. Ou.. Yo.. Gi.. Bu.. Vi.. G.. Wi..

I was taught that in 9th grade electronics class, public school.

I always wondered if they still used it, for some parent now to have a fit over, and I would probably be one of them now.

The same teacher had a graphic depiction of the difference between male & female connectors - then said anyone that didn't get it should drop the class now.

Last edited:
Yes, Daba!

I learned them with the old rainbow mnemonic: ROY G BIV. Of course, it leaves out Black and Brown on one end and grey and white one the other...

Yes, Daba!

I learned them with the old rainbow mnemonic: ROY G BIV. Of course, it leaves out Black and Brown on one end and grey and white one the other...

I "remember" the rainbow series with...

"Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain"

Along similar lines I have "Some Old Horses Canter Around Hay-fields Tripping Over Acorns" - anyone know what this is ?

The same teacher had a graphic depiction of the difference between male & female connectors - then said anyone that didn't get it should drop the class now.

I've always wondered if the male/female analogy applies to the electrical parts, or could it be applied to the housings - I've often seen obviously male "plugs" which contain a female electrical "socket", but categorised as "male"

And what about optical connectors, surely the signal connection is neither male or female, so they can only be described in terms of which housing enters the other.....

o_O

I've always wondered if the male/female analogy applies to the electrical parts, or could it be applied to the housings - I've often seen obviously male "plugs" which contain a female electrical "socket", but categorised as "male"o_O

I have seen parts listed both ways - a male housing with female connectors listed as male by one company but female by another.

Then lets get into the multi-pin housings that mix combinations of male/female connectors on each side so multiple 9 conductor plugs can only be plugged into one mating receptacle on a machine - had to do that once where about 10 cables were not marked as to where the mating receptacle was - just start comparing pins. But the receptacles were all clearly numbers on the panel - on a new machine, not one that might have had the labels come off over the years.

As for the fiber optics it's just plug and receptacle / socket as far as I have seen.

Quote:
Along similar lines I have "Some Old Horses Canter Around Hay-fields Tripping Over Acorns" - anyone know what this is ?
For the same thing as Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples.

Trigonometry

I must have been taught at a twisted school, includes tolerance bands:

Bad
Boys
R.pe
Our
Young
Girls
But
Violet
Gives
Wonderfully
Good
S..ks

Black(0) Brown(1) Red (2) Orange(3) Yellow(4) Green(5) Blue(6) violet (7) grey (8) white(9)
the last band is tolerance
no band 20%
silver 10%
gold 5%

'hei zhong hong cheng huang lu lan zi hui bai wu yin jin' in chinese.