why the two out of phases is called single phase ??

i wrote my last post during keithkyll wrote his last post

so i said : " but the correct to say one single phase voltage source or two single phase voltage sources or three single phase voltage sources "

while keithkyll said - but i did not show it before writting my post - " The only issue is English grammar. You can't say the words 'single' and 'three' in the same sentence. It's either 'three phase' or 'single phase"

so what is the correct expression for english grammer and for electerical power at the same time ??

thanks

Last edited:
magdyfayad said:
...so what is the correct expression for english grammer and for electerical power at the same time ??

thanks
First is spelling - electrical.

Three Phase
Three Phase Power
Three Phase Power Source
Three Phase Current

Three Phase Voltage is not used, but I can't say it's wrong.

thanks

but the concepts and the basics - which i said and you said to me it is correct - are still correct , is not right ??

Last edited:
thanks all

but the concepts and the basics - which i said and you said to me it is correct - are still correct and no change for it , is not right ??

thanks , but when i want to explain the correct electerical meaning to any one , you advice me to state : three single phase voltage sources
or state : three phases voltage source ??

Any of these is good:
Three Phase Power Source.
Three Phase.
-------------------------------------------------
Specification for a piece of equipment:
208/120, 60 Hz, 4 Wire, 30 Amp
208/120, 60 Hz, 5 Wire, 30 Amp

4 wire means 3 hots, ground.
5 wire means 3 hots, neutral, ground.

Last edited:
thanks , but the problem for expression " three single phase voltage sources " is only for English grammer !!

and there is no problem and also correct 100 % if i use that expression
" three single phase voltage sources " in electrical power meaning ,
or when i explain the three phase to any one , is not right ??

yes , i delete it - but i put it as i wanted my electrical meaning is very clear to me and to be check my electrical understanding is correct or not !!

then the expression is " three voltage sources " is correct 100 % in both English grammer and electrical , is not right ??

while the expression " three phases voltage source " is wrong as i learnt from you any voltage source must be single phase , it is impossible to be two phases voltage source and impossible also to be three phases voltage source !!

is not right ??

Last edited:
magdyfayad said:
...the expression is " three voltage sources " is correct 100 % in both English grammer and electrical , is not right ??
Correct.
magdyfayad said:
while the expression " three phases voltage source " is wrong
Delete the word 'voltage'.
magdyfayad said:
... as i learnt from you any voltage source must be single phase , it is impossible to be two phases voltage source and impossible also to be three phases voltage source !!

is not right ??
Correct, if you are only talking about 2 wires.

why you agree to say three phases power source or three phases current ??

as there is a relation between the three i.e :

1-the power
2-the voltage
3-the current

why ??

i think if we did not say three phases voltage source , i think it must not be say also three phases current source and must not be say also three phases power source !!

or there is a difference , and what is it ??

thanks

also , why do you say at last statement for last post :
" Correct, if you are only talking about 2 wires " ??

you agreed with me for my all statements which i said , as i said about the both two wires and three wires , see below :

so if i take R ( phase conductor )and S ( phase conductor )- either from star connection or delta connection - and applied R and S to a load , i must say it is a single phase voltage source - not say two phases voltage source - but with two phase conductors or with two hot wires

also if i take R ( phase conductor ), S ( phase conductor ) and T ( phase conductor ), - either from star connection or delta connection - and applied R , S , and T to a three phase load , i must say it is three single phase voltage sources - not say three phases voltage source - with three phase conductors or with three hot wires

thanks

Last edited:
I agree that if you had three separate single phase sources (3X2 wires), you could refer to them as

" three single phase voltage sources "

I thought you were refering a single three phase source (3 wires) in which case you should be saying

" three phase voltage source "

In my experience the term "single phase" is usually not used and assumed. It is only used in systems that incorporate three phase sources to help differentiate.

For example in my three phase motor starter I connect phase conductor A and phase conductor B to the single phase control transformer. The motor leads are connected to A,B&C phase conductors.

When I plug a transformer in the wall at home for my electric razor, I don't use the single phase terminology, it is assumed.

Last edited: