Automationdirect productivity 2000

yasirkhi

Hi,

Could someone share a sample program of Productivity 2000, which is automationdirect.com new line of compact series PLC?

If I want to use LIM or EQU instructions, how to to do it in this series?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
There are limit (LIM) and comparison (CMPV) instructions available under the Application and Data Handling groups, respectively.

Have you gotten a chance to install the Productivity Suite?

I do not see a LIM (If you mean like the Limit input instrucion in A/B) equivalent.
There are comparison instructions located in the "contacts" group. (CMP instruction). So, you could put a "less than or equal to contact" and a "greater than or equal" contact in series to accomplish the same thing. Any sort of single comparison is possible with this instruction, so your EQU would be set up with it as well.

The LIM instruction in Productivity Suite is an output instruction that actually limits a value within a range.

The instruction set appears to have many useful additions, but some of them are very familiar to those who already have used the older Automation Direct software which is why, I suppose, they think that data compare instructions belong under the "contacts" category. Coming from the A/B world, those should all be bit instructions to me, so it will take some getting used to.

Off topic: I just ordered (3) P2000 PLCs today for a project that we'll be doing pretty soon, so I am beginning to learn the software. My project is to replace some control features and data logging presently done by a Windows based PC which, for some odd reason, will not run reliably for more than 6 months straight and always seems to choke in the wee hours of the night.

I will have very little I/O, but will be tasked with making the three units talk to each other and 3 other modbus devices over radio modems so it should be fun getting all that sorted out.

I noticed the power supplies are out of stock. I suspect the little boogers are selling like "hot cakes"...

Last edited:
a Windows based PC which, for some odd reason, will not run reliably for more than 6 months straight and always seems to choke in the wee hours of the night.
Couldn't say if it's related but, we installed Softlogix5 (this was ten years ago or so) and just let it run. One night, naturally, power in the building went down so all the SL5s did too. On startup the software was hosed, conveyors not run, people unhappy. It seems some file that windows uses filled up the hard drive and overwrote something else. Long story short, we instituted a monthly therapeutic reboot - one of the IT guys who helped us through it said the restart clears out whatever was causing the issue. Had no more problems of that sort.

There are some instructions which make MOV and COP instructions joke.
But yes it seems different way of using LIM for LIM and Compare values. I still need more learning.

I called automationdirect.com for videos but guy said there would be a coupon for 30 days free learning videos for this PLC.

Working on small project, but honestly main reason is price and data logging.

Couldn't say if it's related but, we installed Softlogix5 (this was ten years ago or so) and just let it run. One night, naturally, power in the building went down so all the SL5s did too. On startup the software was hosed, conveyors not run, people unhappy. It seems some file that windows uses filled up the hard drive and overwrote something else. Long story short, we instituted a monthly therapeutic reboot - one of the IT guys who helped us through it said the restart clears out whatever was causing the issue. Had no more problems of that sort.

My project is to replace some control features and data logging presently done by a Windows based PC which, for some odd reason, will not run reliably for more than 6 months straight and always seems to choke in the wee hours of the night.

My comment was meant to be sarcasm. There are way too many things that can go wrong with PC based control. This particular system provides water to a small town, so it can handle an occasional reboot. It is running a very low end SCADA package with a boat load of scripting. It is the weak link right now and I am going to be "money ahead" by skipping past all the possible ways I *might* be able to make it more reliable, and just put PLCs in charge.

This site does not have any PLCs right now, so it is also the perfect opportunity to try out the new stuff from A/D with its very low cost, free software and plenty of comms options, I am pretty sure I can make it work and not have to worry about hard drives and Windows updates.

The SCADA will remain for operator interface and logging purposes, but the system with chug right along without it.

Last edited:
Apologize for the hijack, but I gotta ask Okie why you chose the 2000 over the DoMore. The DoMore's seem to have a great following. I have used quite a few and am satisfied. Disclaimer-I haven't used a 2000 or 3000. And I definitely may in the future.

Apologize for the hijack, but I gotta ask Okie why you chose the 2000 over the DoMore. The DoMore's seem to have a great following. I have used quite a few and am satisfied. Disclaimer-I haven't used a 2000 or 3000. And I definitely may in the future.

I need RS485 and Ethernet ports for this job as we originally laid it out. I have not used the Do-more yet. It appears to be about the same cost, but does not offer RS485. My experience with Automation Direct PLCs is very limited. I have a couple of Clicks for a test setup and have one customer using the DL-06 which I have worked on and that is the extent of my experience with them.

Last edited:

I used to work for AD when the P2K was in the development stages and have used both platforms and they are both very nice to work with and comparable in many ways and different in many ways.

P2K and P3K have more communications and data logging options. The P2K also has more memory.

The DoMore is great for shops that have used the DL platform for years and the DoMore gives it new life and advanced features. For higher end and centric and PAC like applications I think the P2K and P3K are the better options and will be the most future proof.

If both will meet your spec you can't go wrong with either one. No one else on the market has a product that feature rich for that price point. They are both a great value IMHO.