RS232 (DH485) to DF1

Craig0002

Hi Everyone,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, but I am unable to find the answer I am looking for. I have a PanelView 550 that uses RS232 (DH485) protocol and a ControlLogix 1756-L1 that only communicates via DF1 protocol. I want to interface the two. Is there any way to do this? I looked at the NET-AIC and I am not sure if that will work. If I use the PIC between the two wll that work? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Does AB make a cable that goes from DH485 Pheonix connector of the NET-AIC to the RS232 (DH485) port of the Panelview?

Ken the file was at one time on MRPLC I've also posted the same file here on numerous threads Perhaps we should post it in the download section.

Because your PanelView uses DH-485 protocol over RS-232 wiring, you don't need a PIC or an AIC+ or any other RS232/485 electrical converter. The serial port on your PanelView is already RS-232, the same as the serial port on the ControlLogix.

The cable between the two will be a "straight-through" RS-232 cable, not a "null modem" cable like you use to connect your PC to the ControlLogix.

The 1756-L1 controller *does* support DH-485 protocol on its serial port. The function has been there since at least V10.

You will have to define SLC-style data tables in the Logix, using the "Map PLC/SLC Messaging" feature.

Another option is to change the PanelView from DH-485 protocol to DF1 Full Duplex protocol. This will work only if you want just the PanelView and the ControlLogix connected to one another.

It is a little known fact that all the PanelView Standard terminals with only RS-232 ports can run either the DF1 or DH485 firmware.

On the units that have both an RS-232 communication port and an RS-232 printer port, the assignments of the ports is reversed when this change is made. On units that have only one RS-232 port, the protocols are totally interchangeable (like on the PV300 Micro).

I would prefer this method because it will allow you to retain DF1 Full Duplex on your L1 controller's serial port, which is faster for point-to-point communications and still allows RSLogix 5000 to run effectively through the port. DH-485 protocol puts a big performance crimp in the online function of RSLogix 5000.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Kens option of upgrading the firmware is the best. Do you guys know if the firmware is available online? I have support for the PanelBuilder software, but I am not sure if firmware is covered in that support. The processor is a very early version of the L1 and it does not support DH485.

The firmware is a download from somewhere on the AB site (can't remember where) but it is free. Search on my name in the old forums as I did post some info a long time ago on this conversion. Regards Alan Case

I changed the firmware in the Panelview to DF1 protocol. It seems to have taken the firmware ok and I can see it in RSLinx, but when I go to the communication set up it states "DF1 Hardware Failed". Panelbuilder bombs out when I try to download an application too. I went from an RS232 (DH485) protocol to DF1. This panelview does not have a printer port. Could the firmware be looking for it? Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, that shouldn't happen. :unsure:

What is the exact part number and f/w revision of your original terminal ?

There are two distributions of the firmware; one for loading via the comms port, and one for loading via the ATA Flash card. I always use the ATA Flash one.

Ken, It's a 2711-T5A5L1 firmware version 4.2. It took the firmware with no problem. I used the comm ports for the update. I even did it twice to make sure it took correctly. Both times it came back successfully downloaded. When I go to the communication setup in the panelview it is now changed to DF1 - Full Duplex. The fault LED is flashing and the Comm Led is off, even though I know linx is communication with it. The message "DF1 Hardware failed" is in the Communication Setup. Maybe I need to go back to the NET-AIC idea?

HOW TO change PV550 DH485 to DF1

Here is how I did it.
Step 1: update firmware using the Firmware update utility provided witht the panel builder CD
- Use PV550 Touche with DF1
- ensure RSLinx is off or COM1 is not in use
Step 2: Create DF1 RS232 driver in RSlinx with SLC500-CH0/Micro/PanelView as the device, autoconfigure should find the panel at node 2.
Step 3: In RSlinx Communications>Configure Client Aplication
under 1KT:0 select DF1
Step 4: In PanelBuilder configure your PV550 as a DF1 panel not DH485, ensure the comm setings are correct (i.e. node 2 for the panel)

Perhaps it will work with other PV