230VAC 50Hz Motor testing

Nearbyatom

We have a project utilizing 230VAC 50Hz motor going overseas.

How do I test this when all we have is 230VAC 60Hz? Is there a converter we can use?

The only difference is that the motor will run faster at 60 Hz than it will at 50 Hz.
If that's a problem you could use a VFD instead of an across-the-line starter to run at 50 Hz. Doing so will result in a slower acceleration of the load than with the starter and less of a shock load to the drive train.
If there is a chain or timing belt between the motor and the driven mechanism you could change the ratio for testing at your shop. Be aware that slowing down the driven shaft this way will result in higher torque, so it won't be exactly an apples-to-apples test.

The motor will run faster but with less power due with the same voltage the higher frequence increases impedance, the motor will produce significant less torque.

thanks for the replies! If we want to test end to end at the correct frequency, can someone recommend me a frequency converter to go from 60Hz to 50?

Again, this will be at 230VAC for industrial use.

Thanks!