Recording production

RussellRR

Hello, I am looking for advice on the best way to log production. The equipment is Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 and C More Ea7 touch panel. The managers here would like for this to record daily shift totals and each 8 hour period and reset weekly or monthly. I do not know or think the Ea7 is capable to do this. I do have a counter programmed in the plc and it displays on hmi also has have a reset button on touch screen. The operators now reset the counter at end of shift but with out recording no way to insure they correctly writting down total. Any advise would be helpful. Please no sarcastic or smart a** comments

Last edited:
We use wonder ware 2014 and SQL server to store our production.
you could also use RSView, Advanced HMI and others.

If there are no connections to the dh+ port, I would consider upgrading to a 5/05 or logix 5000

james

If I was trying to do this for a single line w/out investing a ton of money, I would probably just buy a small Vorne system and let THAT do the work.

I have done it many times... just do the logic in the PLC and have it display on the HMI, you dont need to buy anything, the PLC can log and store the data then have another screen on the HMI to display (dates and data) with resets

Last edited:
Doing the logic in plc sounds more like it. They are not going to invest in different higher priced hmi screens or change the plc to a different processor here to accomplish this. In doing the logic is this using real time clock? Can you provide an example?

I think in the SLC 5/04 the real time clock is setup like this:

S:37= Year
S:38= Month
S:39= Day
S:40= Hours
S:41= Min
S:42= Seconds

Then at the end of each shift you write the value to store it and zero out the production counter.

At the end of each day you do the same thing.

Then make HMI objects to show the production stats historical data.

I don't know what your options are for keeping the RTC correct. You could obviously set up an HMI screen to adjust it. The Rockwell Clock Update Tool only works with CLX but if you have a CLX on the network your SLC could get the time from it.

If the operators resetting the count at the end or start of their shift is an issue, you could use that as a trigger to move the count to storage. That way you won't lose any data.

Bubba.

If the operators resetting the count at the end or start of their shift is an issue, you could use that as a trigger to move the count to storage. That way you won't lose any data.

Bubba.

I'm trying to accomplish a very similar thing as OP. Thanks for that idea, Bubba. I'm going to try this out first thing.

Use in the PLC a matrix of 3 shifts x 31 days and put the total of each shift in the corresponding register.
It will be reset itself when the values of the past month are overwritten, or when the day changes clear 4 or 5 days in advance, then the current position in the calendar will be clear
Then make in the HMI a screen showing the values

Last edited: