FTView SE - Failed to create the Web Virtual Directory

nikhilec2007

Hi,
I installed FTViewSCADA in my laptop and everything was working fine, like creating a new project, backup and restore project.

Few days back, I installed Advantech WebAccess SCADA and I had to install IIS to support same.

Later when I tried to create new project in FTView SE, it is giving me error as " Failed to create the Web Virtual Directory"

I tried Uninstalling and Re-Installing, even installed the higher version, but no good luck.

I am attaching snapshot of error for your reference.
Note that RSView32 is also installed in same laptop, but I am sure that before installing Advantech also both SCADA were installed and was working fine.

To me it looks like that some user rights has been changed after installing IIS.
I am not much aware about IIS.
I can go for system restore to older date but not a preferred option.

Any help will be appreciated.

FTView Error.gif

Prevoiusly I was working with FTView 5 CPR9 SR1.
After facing this problem, I tried uninstalling and re-installing same version.
But didn't work.
So I uninstalled v5.0 and installed v6.0 CPR9 SR3.
But no success.
No updates.
I am using IE8 only.

What version?

Did you do Windows Updates? Those can break Rockwell Software very easily.

IE needs to be IE9 on FTVSE < 8.0.

So I uninstalled v5.0 and installed v6.0 CPR9 SR3

I realize it won't help you now, but for future work I recommend strongly that you do not attempt any upgrades of FactoryTalk View on the same PC, especially if you have installed competing software or modified services like IIS.

You can install new versions, to be sure, but only on fresh computers. I make extensive use of Virtual Machines with FactoryTalk View for this reason.

No TechSupport Available

Hi,
I don't have tech support.
Can you let me know the procedure.

The Web virtual directory is part of how FactoryTalk View SE handles "ViewPoint", the web-based remote control mechanism.

Here's a Knowledgebase article about manually creating the web virtual directory:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61511

Another article about installing IIS after FactoryTalk View:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64845/related/1

You can get a TechConnect support contract through one of Rockwell Automation's thirteen distributors in India.

RA's sales office in India is outside New Delhi:

Rockwell Automation India Pvt. Ltd.
A-66, Sector - 64
Noida (U.P.), India
Tel (91) 120 467 1600
Tel (91) 1800 2000 121

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i had the same error recently on FTVSE V9 on Server 2012R2.

I found the issue was the Application Pool's Identity in IIS
was set to LocalSystem. I changed these back to ApplicationPoolIdentity and i can now create HMI Servers once again without getting the Virtual Directory Error.