Siemens mp277 10 inch touch screen problems

Deacon13

I currently have 4 siemens mp277 10 inch touch screens I deal with. Lately 2 of them have been giving erratic touch screen results. To specify.. when colder than 15 degree Celsius, screens when being touched , select different portions on the screen then what you have been trying to select. During the summer months, this isnt an issues. We are in middle of winter and screens have become almost un useable . All screen have heating pads in the cabinets they are installed in, and pads are working. Mp277s are not exactly cheap, and i was hoping to any insight into if there is something i can repair ?. is the outside screen defective ?.. any help or insight would be appreicated .

The touch screens are resistive a plastic film over the top, I suspect that condensation is creeping in between the touch element part of the screen & the plastic membrane, I believe these are obsolete now due to ROSH compliance If I remember correctly some years ago we had one that somebody dug a knife into a number of places on the screen, the unit was EOL, however, we could buy another but the price was hiked up, we had no choice but I downloaded the application to keep as a backup, after replacing the screen (we also had problems with the touch screen not calibrated even though we calibrated it, this we thought was due to condensation as the factory was at 5 Deg C (food production), I took the old one apart & removed the touch element, found the original MFGR but they said it was obsolete and did not sell only to their distributors, they gave me the names of a few who may have some old stock, one of them had two in stock at £55.00 each I purchased both, fitted one I had to use some double sided tape but used some that was slightly thicker than the original, it worked fine & we changed it back, never had a problem again with condensation so assumed it must have had a bad seal. I very much doubt that these are still available. so although we paid nearly double (OEM supplied one with program already installed) than the original cost of a new one we at least had a spare plus a spare touch as well.

Awesome... thankyou

The touch screens are resistive a plastic film over the top, I suspect that condensation is creeping in between the touch element part of the screen & the plastic membrane, I believe these are obsolete now due to ROSH compliance If I remember correctly some years ago we had one that somebody dug a knife into a number of places on the screen, the unit was EOL, however, we could buy another but the price was hiked up, we had no choice but I downloaded the application to keep as a backup, after replacing the screen (we also had problems with the touch screen not calibrated even though we calibrated it, this we thought was due to condensation as the factory was at 5 Deg C (food production), I took the old one apart & removed the touch element, found the original MFGR but they said it was obsolete and did not sell only to their distributors, they gave me the names of a few who may have some old stock, one of them had two in stock at £55.00 each I purchased both, fitted one I had to use some double sided tape but used some that was slightly thicker than the original, it worked fine & we changed it back, never had a problem again with condensation so assumed it must have had a bad seal. I very much doubt that these are still available. so although we paid nearly double (OEM supplied one with program already installed) than the original cost of a new one we at least had a spare plus a spare touch as well.

The heating elements in the control cabinet counters condensation inside the cabinet, but the remaining weak spot is the transition to the outside, the touch screen itself.
You can add a protective cover that sits over the operator panel, such as Rittal FT. This avoids the thermal difference at the touch screen so it wont be so prone to condensation.
You will have to open and close the door every time you have to operate the touch screen though.

Want to add that the heating elements inside the cabinet actually make it worse for the touch screen.
The heating element drive any moisture outwards towards cooler air, when the moisture hits a surface with a significant lower temperature it condensates on that surface, and that is exactly where the touch screen is !