Configure 1756-rio as adapter with no processor

GCone

Hi everyone. I have an application where a 1756-DHRIO in a rack with an L61 processor controlling a system will talk to a 1756-RIO in a CLX chassis acting as a Remote I/O adapter. There is no processor in the remote rack. In the User Manual the only information about configuring the RIO is by installing the Add-On Profile and Configuration Tool and then adding and configuring the 1756-RIO via RSLogix 5000. Presumably when you download the project to the processor the configuration is pushed to the RIO module.

Here is my problem - there is no processor in the rack the RIO will be in. It is simply there to update I/O for the processor in the other rack (with the 1756-DHRIO) that controls it.

How do I configure a 1756-RIO with no processor? Place it in the rack with the processor to configure it, then move it to it's remote panel? Someone in my office was saying that it can be somehow configured in linx, but I don't see how you can configure it over a RIO link, especially when, well you know, it isn't configured with a baud rate, etc.

I'm replacing a controller/HMI station on an older system that has 1747-ASB nodes existing, and also adding some more machinery that will have the ControlLogix rack and the 1756-RIO. I don't think the SLC chassis and ASB's are available anymore. At any rate, the architecture was laid out and parts purchased before I came on board.

hmm, I surprised to hear that the 1756 RIO scanner can be configured as a adapter, never would have thought to use it like you are. Do you have the h/w to try it?

It has been shipped to the customer's site. I'm going out there next week to do another phase of the mod that doesn't involve the new panel but I am trying to figure it out ahead of time before I get there (silly me).

Thinking about this, the configuration of any adapter in a remote rack in the Controllogix world would have to know more about the rack than is in the RIO specification. And how would the addressing work? I'll be watching this for curiosity sake but would never go down this road in a project, seems like a step backwards.

Thanks, I just talked with someone at our local AB Vendor who confirmed it won't work without a Processor in the remote rack, and from the sound of it, very elegantly. I'll probably replace it with a 1756-ENBT and pull an ethernet cable.

You have received good advice from your distributor: the Adapter mode of the 1756-RIO cannot run the I/O modules in a 1756 chassis by itself.

The Adapter mode of the 1756-RIO is principally for migration of applications where a PLC-5 controller was running with one of its channels in Adapter mode.

The Adapter mode is also related to the Listener mode, which is where the 1756-RIO gets really cool. It can passively listen to all of the input and output data on a RIO network and transfer that data to a ControlLogix, allowing you to test a ControlLogix retrofit or translation without actually putting the ControlLogix in charge of the I/O network.

Similar Problem

We had A/B come out and install new controller(see image of network) to communicate with old RIO rack PLC-5 era. I have issues. The outputs that control pumps are dropping off due to lack of communications I believe anyway. Is this set-up even "good enough" to communicate with new L7 contollers? Please note that I am speaking of the 1756-RIO. The 1756-DHRIO has the error due to channel B not being used.

network photo.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend creating a new thread for your issue. While your issue does relate to the 1756-RIO module, the original post was a configuration and functionality question about Adapter Mode and you're doing troubleshooting of Scanner Mode.

I prefer to put the 1756-RIO into the same chassis as the CPU, but I know that it can run in a Remote rack over EtherNet/IP or ControlNet as well.

Once you've created a new thread we can start troubleshooting.