RSEmulate and RSView 32

eastkodakguy

Problem: Is it possible to run RSEmulate and RSView 32 on the same laptop and acutally have the two communicate back and forth. I am wanting to test some screens out with my logic. I have accomplished this before using another PC. My laptop was running RSEmulate 5000 and the pc was running RSView 32 I linked them together using RS232. It would be nice if I could do all of this without an extra PC. any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Dallas

I was just Remembering that I have Softlogix on my laptop. Maybe I could run it and RSView 32 at the same time. Any suggestions??

Last edited:
Given enough memory and processor speed, you should be able to run all of those programs (plus RSLogix) on one pc and have them interact.

Softlogix will be a better "emulator" than RSEmulate.

I have often done exactly what you want to do, even emulating more than one PLC, and running RSLogix500. Set-up the EMU-500 driver in RSLinx, then set-up a channel using that driver under the system folder in RSView. The network type is DH-485. Use the Node set-up screen to create a connection to the virtual PLC running in RSEmulate.

You can set up RSLinx as an In-Process OPC Server with an OPC topic pointed at a SoftLogix 5800 or Emulate 5000 controller through the AB_VBP virtual backplane driver.

You'll use Device Tags in RSView32, and address them to Logix tags through the tag browser.

You can switch RSView32 from the emulator to a real ControlLogix just by redefining the OPC Topic path in RSLinx.

The RSView32 direct drivers don't support Logix controllers, so you have to use OPC.

This method works well and we use it regularly for RSView demos when we don't gave a Logix controller on hand.

[p.s. Woo hoo ! 1000 posts !]

Last edited:
from the "down and dirty" department ...

Dallas,

maybe I'm missing something here ... but if all you want to do is test out your graphics, etc. there is another way ... start out by putting a temporary "numeric input" device on the screen ... then test run the program and change the number ... if the input's tag is the same as (for example) a tank level signal, then the tank graphic will fill and drain to correspond with the number you enter ...

get fancier by putting a temporary slider on the screen and use it to manipulate the tag value ... this is usually easier than constantly typing in new values ... even better, since these are "temporary" fixtures anyway, just leave both items on the screen ... now you can make big changes or fine adjustments ... and monitor the exact value in the tag at the same time ...

finally, look at the way the tag values are manipulated to animate the graphics in the "samples" application ... for example: look at how the little cars are continuously moved through the automotive plant ... go into the edit mode and take the graphics apart to see how they work ... hint: poke around in the "derived tags" section at the bottom of the project tree ... you can use these same techniques to "animate" your own graphics for testing purposes ...

it's been a long time since I've looked for it, but there used to be a little "animator" type program that got installed with RSView ... I think the icon was under utilities or something like that ... if that's still available, you might try using it to animate your tags ... frankly I always found it a lot easier to just "roll my own" by using the techniques I outlined above for my tests ...

basic idea: you don't need any other program besides RSView to test the operation of the graphics in your project ... at least not until you get around to testing out the "communications" aspect of your application ...

think of it this way: to test out your graphics, you just want the value in a tag to change ... you can do that without using a PLC or any other program ...

PS ... and congratulations to Ken on reaching his historic "1000 posts" milestone ...

Thanks all

Thanks everyone, I have everything up an running now, and everything seems to be peachy. I was using RSEmulate but have switched to SoftLogix because with a large program RSEmulate's scan time seems to slow way down, which is ok at times. again thanks all

Dallas