Rsview pull tag database from plc?

imloggedin

Can Rsview32 pull the tag database from the plc instead of having to create a whole slew of whats already there? I thought i read this somewhere but maybe im mistaken. Any help would be appreciated.

RSView can’t “pull” it, but in many cases the PLC’s RSLogix programming software can be used to “export” its existing “Tagname/Symbol” database - which can then be “imported” by RSView ... a lot depends on the specific type of PLC - and software version ...

post more details - or poke around in the RSLogix “Save As” feature ... sometimes the option is there - or under the “Tools/Database” main menu selection ...

survival tip: BACKUP your programs first ...

Cool if you could give me any more info on it that would be great. Im using RSLogix 5000 V15.01.00, and RSView32 Works 7.40.00 CPR9.

Thanks

You can import data from Logix500 easy enough. Open the tag database editor in RSView32. In the menu bar, select Edit | Other Databases. Browse to where your project is, job done. Haven't tried it yet with Logix5000.

Once you have your link set up be sure to set the 'Offline Tag File' to point to the ACD file. The on a control click the 'Connections' tag. Click the 'tag' button. Right click on the name of the project at the top left and select 'Refresh All Folders'. Drill down into the created folders and your tags should be there.

When I export the tags from Rslogix 5000 it sends it out to a CSV file. I tried using the logix import utility that comes with rsview and the built in one and neither will take a csv file. What am i doing wrong here?

There's a utility for RSView32 to import RSLogix5000 database. Look up tech note A839.

Chances are there are a lot of tags in your CLX program that will never be used in your RSView32 application. Since you pay for the RSView licence based on tag count, why import the lot? Secondly, an import will place all tags in the root folder of the RSView database - making it cumbersome and unwieldy.

Better to create a structured database in RSView and use the OPC browsing facility (works through RSLinx) to pick tags from either an offline CLX file or online CLX processor.

Save your 5000 project as a Lk5.

Then in RS View setup new folders structured as you like; Common, Annun, Motors.....whatever you wish.

Then make sure your RS View 32 project is open, then using logix 5000 import in the RS View tools directory. Select the tags to import and so on.

SCREEN.JPG

Very straight forward once you do it a couple of times